Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let my introduce myself!

My name is Dan, and my girlfriend, Kadie, will 'share' this name. Were from Milwaukee Wisconsin. Im 21, shes 19.

I got a few un-answered q's that the guys at the LFS couldnt answer.

1. Im not sure on the size of my tank, (48"x24"x31"), but i know the filter included with it is too small (says "whisper 30-60) so im assuming, that means up-to a 60 gal. tank. can i just mount that on the left side, and get another filter, that equals the dfference, and mount it on the right side?
in other words, run my tank off of 2 diff. filters, that equal the gallon cap.?

2. I plan on starting my tank, with some goldfish or, hearty, cheap fish to get the tank started. Eventually ide like to upgrade to larger fish.
whats the "rule of thumb" on size of tank to fish ratio?

any comments / suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
67 Posts
welcome to the forum

as for your questions i can help with number one you can get another filter to make up the difference but i dont know how many gallons that tank is

and for your second question the VERY basic rule of thumb is one inch per gallon but that is a very broad rule cause you cant put a 50in fish in a 50 gal tank and it really depends on which kind of fish you decide to go with cause some species you can have more of where as others you will be restricted due to size, aggression, and how messy they are

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Welcome aboard!
It's about 155 gallons.
You can combine filters, sure.
Rule of thumb Mustang Boy is right, thats a general rule of 1" per gallon, but 100 1" fish is not the same as 1 100" fish!
Start off with a few hardy fish and add more after about 6-8 weeks, when its finished cycling.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! im impressed with how active this forum is!

Whoa! 155 gallons is a lot. hopefully my floor doesnt cave.

alright! thanks a bunch you guys/gals.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'm going to assume you have a a basement with plywood subbase... Howfully not an apt. complex, your right thats alot of weight.... if you can add some bracing to the floor you should, and unlevel tank can be dangerous, more so if it the floor causing it.

By the way. welcome

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yeah spreading the weight was good... You can see it the tank is really unlevel in the water... I only seid something because you had some concerns. As far as an apt... you should check to see it they have weight restriction for aquariums... Don't tell them you have one just look over your lease or have a friend call like they want to rent an apt and and have them ask them the question.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts