Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 36 bow, with a topfin filter. It has been running for about a month, I replaces my filter cartridge a few days ago, now my tank is going through another cycle. Is there a way to change the filter cartridge with out loosing all my beneficial bacteria.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are the bags with the carbon in them, could I still just dump the bag and refill it with carbon or would you just float a new bag in the tank for a day before I change out the filter?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
+1

No need to change it out during every wc. Just rinse it out in the used tank water when you are doing your maintenance. Then when it comes time to where you have to change it, give it some good squeezes over the new media to help transfer the goodies over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I went to my LFS today and they game me some extra bio-balls they had. I have put them in the filter to help with the beneficial bacteria. I will leave them in when I do need to change out the carbon. As the tank gets more established and My plants take off I may remove the carbon completly and just go with the bio-balls and and a sponge to pick up debris in the water. Would this be ok?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts