Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what would be best? HOB with powerheads on sides of tanks or canister with powerheads.
thanks
John B

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Depends on what you putting in there..... a canister for sure....as far a power heads why unless your hooking them up to UGF.... or your housing fish that requirer alot of current.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes. Someone's 70 gallon tank busted and she sold off the parts including a 7 inch ROYAL pleco, a tiger botia, the driftwood and all the gravel. Light fixtures were already sold along with the filter.

·
Registered
324 Posts
you lucky dog... very nice find!

post pics of the royal if you can.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so what about using powerheads in reverse on the UGF. So the materials would collect on the sponge intake of the filter and the flow would be pushed up through the gravel. does this sound feasible?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I've thought of that before... is this going to be a rock scape or planted tank.......If it going to mainly be rocks than I wouldn't worry about it..... IMO UGF's are only helpfull in tanks smaller than 55, after that the body of water can really support itself. with a good filter. If your going with planted tank they say that it inhibits the roots system, I know that eventually the roots wil create stagnate water pocket which is deadly to fish. the fish you are going to put in are gravel movers, so caution there. If any thing look into the heater coils that create a warm water uplift, the powerheads that have reverse flow are a bit pricey in LFS, I just bought a coil system by hydro for a 70 gal, that shipped was 110.00 I think, I know that after I figure the cost of the UGF and 2 aquaclear 70 powerhead it was cheaper, but I also found the coil system on sale. IMO I would stay away from a UGF in a large tank, Just gravel vac. in a 4 section method weekly and you will be fine........

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was planning on non planted.. Well driftwood and rocks with Anubias and Javaferns. Nothing more than that. I was thinking about a canister... but I am shooting for filtering under 100 bucks, since I still need to get a hood for it as well.
I think Ill hit a garden center to find some broken slate to make caves. I probably will change the plans before the tank is actually in the house I still have tons of rust to take off the stand. 2 hours 2 nights ago, and another hour last night. I think I wore out the wire brush... :) I will work on it more tonight

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Penn-plex sells a brand call cascade filter very nice filter and worls will I use them and have never had a problem with them.... you can get a filter for under 100 online, check ebay.... cascade canister filters watch the shipping

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Pet smart carry the wheels in stock.... a couple of dollares I have 5 of them I don't use...... I found that the wheel get stuck and half will dry out and then killing the bio-coloney, kept sending the tank into mini cycle, but that just my experiences with them.... The gunk from the water builds up were the pins that the filter turns on, but with a little more maintence you could maube avoid this. I use the Tetra Whisper on the tanks I use HOB's, they have a black spounge that keeps the bio-colony alive, even if you don't get to the replace the filters floss the coloney still get fresh water. I don't think they make a HOB for anything bigger than a 55 gal. tanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Walmart man Walmart.
Get 2 Whisper or Aquatech hang on the back for about 80.00 gives you 660 gph. They have bio wheels. They work well if maintained well. 2 yr warranty. No headaches just take them back to the store.Add 2 large sponge filters with your powerheads and you will have more than enough filtration and plenty of bio area as well.

Cichlidman

·
Registered
92 Posts
biowheels suck i tried 2 of them what a joke most of the aquarium supplies are junk thats why i had to make my own cuz i just got sick of it

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, I run many on my tanks. If maintained properly I have had no problems with them.
I am currently running 9 of them. Clean your filters regularly and they are fair filters. I also have some 300.00 marineland canister filters. It depends on what you want. I just gave my honest opinion. I use them they work, they are in his price range.

·
Registered
92 Posts
why would i want a 300 dollar marineland which i had and the pump blew out had a hydor also the problem is the pump is mounted on the top. if there is a clog then the pump is shot mine I dont have to worry about and the water is constantly circulated so it is continuosly being cleaned i took my ammonia levels after 1 year they were between .25mg and 1.5 and i have 8 sharks and i put 3 pinches of food in the tank every day. I just got sick of buying american ..may seem unpatriotic but why would i pay 300 hundred dollars for something that is basically just a pump and a regulator

1 - 20 of 25 Posts