Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have been an avid aquarist since I was about 8 years old...which was a long time ago! *r2 I have had everything from angelfish to goldfish, to Oscars and pacu...currently I have a 100 gallon, housing one parrotfish and 2 tinfoil barbs. My fish are big-and very old, and what I want to do is give their tank a good cleaning and completely redecorate. Can anyone suggest good things to put in their tank which they might not be able to disturb too much, and that won't hurt them (as they are pretty big...maybe 6" each)?
I'm happy to have found this forum, and thank you in advance for any suggestions you might have!
Carol
:)

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
(never throw away or flush any aquatic plants some are non native and can wreck havoc on the natural water ecosystem in your area).
I always trim my hornwort about twice per month. I throw away the trimmings in the garbage where they melt away. Then toss the garbage about a week later. I've wondered about possible incursion into the waterway, which is why I'm certain they have melted away before tossing the bag into the dumpster. Do you think there is a possibility that some could escape under these circumstances?

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
I will nuke (microwave) the next batch of trimmings. Thanks for the advise. I did check, hornwort is common in my state and seen as beneficial covering for small fish and food for waterfowl.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for the welcomes and suggestions! I love the clay flower pot idea and am definitely going to do that. As for live plants; I have tried on a couple of occasions throughout the years and have not had much luck getting them to survive, much less grow! I will look for the species you suggested when I go shopping tomorrow.

Reactions: JIM and Joey

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
*w2 Good to see you here, Enjoy the site, and Please post some of your experiences during that long time of keeping fish. We can all benefit from knowledge gained through having actually "Been there Done That" :)

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
You did not say what fish are in your tank and unless you have a very large tank it is not a good idea to have any plant that floats or covers the surface if you have any of the fish that have Labyrinth organs and need access to the surface to breathe. These fish would include: Gouramis and Bettas. If your tank is very large then the chances of the surface being covered with plant material is slim and it would not matter as the fish would find a place to get to clear surface.

The idea of having real plants and/or silk ones is lovely and your fish will love them. I do wholeheartedly agree about the clay pots they make lovely additions to the tank.

Rose

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chickadee, you'll see in my first post that I did write that I have a large parrotfish and 2 large tinfoil barbs. (I do have a betta, but he is in his own tank with ample surface area! :fish-in-bowl:) I appreciate your suggestions and am just about ready to go shopping for some new decor for my big tank!
I'll be honest and say that over the years I had kind of lost interest in the big tank; I'd like to do something completely different, but these 3 guys are obviously going to live forever! *#3 Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't want them to die (and they have been well cared for)! I went to someone's house a few weeks ago and they had 3 beautiful aquariums...kinda got me all charged up to do something with my own, you know? If I can ask another question: what other fish would you recommend I put in a 100 gallon tank with the 3 fish I already have? I'm thinking an Oscar or two, but does anyone have any other interesting ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I would love to have some of your trimmings...how would we go about that? I spent today cleaning, cleaning, cleaning my aquarium, then shopping. I got new decor and some silk plants, another HOB filter for the left side (I have a big old cranky one on the right side). This afternoon I remembered my favorite place to go for fish stuff and found a beautiful gold severum and a young albino tiger Oscar and added them to the family. My parrotfish thinks the severum is his mama! It truly seems to have perked him up; his color is even brighter now...crazy! After working for the better part of the day, my tank is now beautiful once more-I'll try and post pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it. Thanks again for all the nice welcome messages!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts