Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Needed to buy a new lamp for my 75 gallon aquarium, I got a Glo T5 HO, But it doesn't come with bulbs, and I am having trouble finding ones that are the right size, diameter wise. Also, I never had dual bulbs before, should I be getting two daylight bulbs, two plant growth, or one of each?

Also, I did a test strip reading, and it says my nitrates are very high, so I did a partial water change and they are still high. Should I keep just doing water changes? or do another type of test and see if the results match?
Thanks!
-Weevil

·
Registered
943 Posts
I dont trust the test strips so see if you can get someone to test it with a liquid test kit or better yet get your own if you can. When changing water to lower trates if you change 25% your trates will only go down by 25% so you may need to do larger WC's

·
Registered
756 Posts
Click link and pick lamp from 4 different companies:
T5 aquarium light T5 aquarium lighting T5 reef lighting T5 HO aquarium lighting T5 reef tank T5 aquarium bulbs T5 aquarium lamps vho aquarium lighting ice cap uri vho bulb Current USA Nova T5 Coralife Aqualight T5 fixture T5 retrofit

I would go with one of each (10k and plant) or get both 10k. That is a full spectrum light, while the plant light is pinkish and is supposibly absorbed by plants better.

Get a test kit for nitrate if possible. This is the one thing I test for on a regular basis. I use API and Red Sea. They are fairly cheap and pretty accurate.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ok, Needed to buy a new lamp for my 75 gallon aquarium, I got a Glo T5 HO, But it doesn't come with bulbs, and I am having trouble finding ones that are the right size, diameter wise. Also, I never had dual bulbs before, should I be getting two daylight bulbs, two plant growth, or one of each?

Also, I did a test strip reading, and it says my nitrates are very high, so I did a partial water change and they are still high. Should I keep just doing water changes? or do another type of test and see if the results match?
Thanks!
-Weevil
Does your pet store sell the Flora Glow brand of light bulbs?

If not try going to a hardware store like Home Depot or Home Hardware.. Ask them for a 6,500k bulb or a 10,000k bulb.

And ask them if it is okay to put in a fish tank because most people usually buy their bulbs there.

I bought mine from Big Al's Aquariums, and it was 20 W and 6,500k rating. So I used it for my 29 gallon...

Are you wanting to grow plants? like a lot of plants with various colors?

If you are, then you will want two of those full spectrum bulbs AKA 6,500k to 10,000k bulb.

Two 6,500k is good enough... does your aquarium hood have two places for putting in two fluorescent bulbs?

Two 6,500k bulb is already good enough to serve as a day light and a plant light bulb. I use one bulb for my tank, and that serves well enough for my day light and plant lighting.

You can always use the plant lights for a regular aquarium light since it will bring out more of the colors that the fishes have inside of them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts