Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
10g with 2 apistogramma borellii, 37 with 1 Dwarf Gourami, 11 Colombian Tetras, 1 Hillstream Loach.
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about all of the aquarium rules of thumbs that don't really work in practice, so I have decided we need some sort of new system for stocking, would be pretty nice. Thinking some sort of formula.
((M x G) x A + T x B) x S / 1.75
This little prototype equation is really just a template.
I'll Explain the template with an example using glowlight danio's
(2 x 1) x 2.5 + 1.5 x 1) x 5 / 1.75
2 is the length of the fish.
The first one is the above 3 inches size of the fish, as those fish are much more girthy they have their own variable.
then we mulitpy it by the activity level of the fish, a scale from 1 to 3, 3 being basically a trout or marlin, 1 being a pea puffer or seahorse.
then we add the fuction of its temperament, once again a 1 to 3 scale, with one being completely peaceful and 3 being basically a pike, Danio's as they can nip fins while dashing around the tank. then we multiply T x B, the Bioload of the fish 1 being a super low load like a tetra, 5 (the max for bioload) being something like a goldfish.
We then Multipy all of these by the size of the school the fish needs, (just leave 1 if it doesn't) and divide by 1.75.
For Glowlight danios the minimum tank comes out to be 18 gallons.

· Registered
10g with 2 apistogramma borellii, 37 with 1 Dwarf Gourami, 11 Colombian Tetras, 1 Hillstream Loach.
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ran through some other fish and what I think they need, and So far it's held Up to scrutiny, the extra size modifer I have decided to change to a 1 to 3 scale, but I have changed it to be (M*(g*G)) x A + T x B) x S / 1.75, little g AND big G are both on 1-3 scales. Neon tetras get a minimum of about 10 gallons, small apistogramma's (alone) get a 5 gallon minimum, Barillus get 55 Gallons, and Red Rainbows get either 40 gallons or 75 depending on the function for extra size.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking back on it its not really an equation for stocking as much as of minimum tank size.
Im probably going to use it in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts