Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would really like to DIY custom fit led lights in my aquarium hood, i went to a website and found waterproof 12" LED strips that go under cars or somthing. Would this work for my 12g nano tank if i bought like about 20 strips

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Ok, you need to check on the intensety of the LED, Led lighting is just now starting to get delevoped into a viable lighting source for the aquarium hobbist. In the past the light were not strong enough to promote coral growth let alone plant growth, but now there are several complanies that are making lighting systems. These are going to be more costly at first than than the best orbit light you can buy, however the bulbs will last 11 years, and linia are right where they need to be for SW tanks. When looking at perchasing led lighting for the tank make sure the light system you are looking at alternates white and blue bulbs, this will insure good viewing light as will as go growth lighting. There is an article in july issue of FW & Marine Aquarium Mag. I seen 12 bulb led reto fit system for sale at petsoultions and forster and smith online stores, these come from eroupe market, a bit expensive but will easly reto fit most hoods.

·
Registered
324 Posts
spectrum is important for corals, so check that out first. after that, it is a new area of DIY, so you may have to try it for yourself and see.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well it dosent say anything about spectrum. but the website is
oznium.com/leds tell me if you think that the 12'' strips are ok or not

·
Registered
324 Posts
looks like they are designed to run off a vehicles electrical system. probably not what you want unles your an electrician and can rewire them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you can hook them up to a transformer to plug into the wall, you can also hook many units together. i just need to know if it would be ok 4 corals if i get a bunch of them

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok nevermind seems to be too much trouble than its worth. well how about the lighting that i have, i have 2- 9'' 18w cf bulbs on my 12g tank. Is that enough to care for a torch coral and maybe a zenia or some other soft corals??? i thought about taking the hood off and getting 2 satelight fixtures rated 24watts a piece but i would be spending a lot of money doing this. if what i got is fine then i should be ok, right?:confused:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Right now you are 3 WPG on a 12 gal tank...... if use just the satelight fix you will only have 2 WPG...... if you combind the two than you are at 5WPG, I think your asking for algea problems with that combination..... I would just get one artic blue buld and ione 10K bulb for what you already have..... that will give you a pretty good light system for a small SW tank system. But remimber you have to replace the bulbs every 12 months if they are compact flor. 6 months is they are the old style flor., evenif they still turn on the have to be replaced..... that is the life of the spectrum they give off.

·
Registered
324 Posts
you should be OK for mushrooms, small softies, and some polips. Torches will likely reach out and sting neighboring coral, and in a tank that small may be a deal breaker. a hamer would be a better choice, but your lighting for either euphilia species is borderline. most people retrofit HOT5's or PC's to go full blown reef.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts