Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am planning to get a 20 gal long fish tank to setup a reef tank. My budget was a bit low, so for lighting, I got 2 of these from ebay
10W Super Actinic Blue Hybrid Led Panel for Aquarium | eBay

Will the lights emitted be enough for a coral reef? Also i need some help in connecting and lighting these. Should i connect them in series and power it through a 12v 1amp dc transformer? Will that work? or should i shoot for a better setup?

thanks
jo

·
Vodka Doser
6,496 Posts
Neat, never seen these before. For a Reef tank, no, not near enough light. Going by Lumens, you should be around 1500 lumens to 2500 lumens, the ones you are looking at also have a spread angle of 120 degrees, not alot of focus there either.
As far as hooking them up, looks as if you can run them together, using a 12vdc 1000ma power supply. Take a voltage reading on it after you fire it up, if it falls below 10vdc out you'll need a second to maintain the brightness.

·
Vodka Doser
6,496 Posts
Thank you guys. For a 20 gal small tank, wont 2 of these be enough?. Also since this is a long 20gal tank, its quite shallow, so wont 600 LM be enough?

Thanks
jo
20 long tank right? 30"

this is what sells in that range. Take a look at the Lumens for a Reef. They are all 1w LED's.
Reef Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: Marineland Reef Capable LED Lighting System

You may get away with it, I think I've seen guys with 400 at the bottom of the tank.
Take a look.
Aquarium Lighting; Reef, Planted Light Information. PAR, Bulb, Watt, Kelvin, Nanometers, MH, LED.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Thank you for the links. After some searching on the internet i came across 30watt 6500k cfls that can give about 2000Lms light. Are they good enough? Its way cheaper than many options available in the market.

Thanks
jo

·
Vodka Doser
6,496 Posts
Hi Thank you for the links. After some searching on the internet i came across 30watt 6500k cfls that can give about 2000Lms light. Are they good enough? Its way cheaper than many options available in the market.

Thanks
jo
Enough light, yes. Not very long lasting, and not very energy efficient in comparison with T-5 HO lighting, or even close to LED. Just food for thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts