Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Quick question on LED color distribution for planted tank lighting.

I've seen each of the following statements made online, many of which contradict one another:

• Red lights should take up at least 50% of your LED spectrum, while blue lights should not exceed 15% (with the rest, of course, being white).
  • You don't want to overdo it with red lights, since having them on for a prolonged period of time will result in excessive algae growth.
  • Red lights are useful to the plants that they reach in shallow tanks; however, as blue light permeates further, blue lights should be optimized when lighting a deeper tank.
  • Shoot for 75% of your spectrum being composed by blue lights, 20% by white lights, and just 5% by red lights.
  • It doesn't really matter, as long as you don't overdo it with the blue lights.
Despite the internet being information-rich for most niches of the aquarium hobby's world, there seems to be limited discussion on this and even less consensus.

Does anyone have input on the matter?

Thank you!

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,924 Posts
Lights will depend on what you want to do with your tank. Do you want high light and co2, medium plants or low light.My low light tank has a lot of plants and just the stock white light that came with the hood. My other 2 tanks has a combo of white and blue with a couple of reds, but aren't as heavily planted. More than coloration what you need to look at par. There is a thread on par lighting on here, that you can do search for.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts