Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son got a BioOrb 4 gallon tank for Christmas, seemed harmless enough. Now 6 months later we have already upgraded once to a 10 gal and considering something much much bigger. I really enjoy the fish but have struggled along the way, learning as I go. I am (of course) the sole care taker of the tank and our sweet little glo-fish and ghost shrimp are thriving but nothing else seems to survive more than a couple weeks.

I could really use some expert mentors before I take the big plunge into a large salt water tank.

:fish5:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would definately get better with fish in general before attempting a saltwater setup. Saltwater tends to be harder to keep, alot higher maintenance and much more costly if you mess up. I agree with WhiteDevil on the tank size, the larger the tank the easier to keep it healthy. Can you give us some water parameters?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We were looking to upgrade to 55 gal when we step up to saltwater. Currently just at 10 with freshwater. I bought a water test kit yesterday, drops not strips, so I can see where my water quality is really at. The 10 gal tank is about 8 weeks old now and seems to have stablized, lost fish at 3 and 4 weeks into the new tank and the guy at the fish store said that can happen as water quality is often out of balance in a new tank. I do want to take it slow and gain some confidence before I take the next step though. Any suggestions for some nice companion fish for the glo-fish in the 10gal once I know the water is ok? What about adding a Betta? I currently have 3 glo-fish and 3 ghost shrimp in 10 gal. I also had two dwarf gourami in there and a Balloon Belly Molly and they all died.

Thanks for your help!

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Welcome to the site. Sounds like part of the problem is that the tank is still cycling which can cause a lot of stress for new fish. I wouldn't add anymore fish to the tank till you know for sure its cycled.

Let us know what your readings are when you test the water.

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
I like liquid tests and hate strips also. Wecome to our community!

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts