Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday was not a good day. I have an 85L/22G aquarium since Christmas. Yesterday morning, feeding the fish, I noticed that the wood in the aquarium base was bulging… further investigations revealed that the aquarium was leaking. It must have only started a few days ago, but it was quite a lot of water at this stage. Not far away from the stand collapsing. So… straight into the car and straight down to the pet store (not where the first tank was bought) to buy a replacement 125L/33G tank and stand. Home to set up. Siphoned off half of the water in leaking tank. Moved empty new tank into correct place. Took ages to transfer substrate, plants and finally fish. Water very cloudy initially, but no choice but to put the fish in as I’d nowhere else to keep them. Next morning they seem fine, but the new bigger tank looks a little bare.

Now I have two filters going in the new tank, the old one with bacteria and the (better) new one. So… what next? Do I leave both filters in the aquarium for a month and then remove the old one? Do I have to transfer filter media?

It’s lucky this happened yesterday as it was St Patrick’s Day and I was off. I don’t know what I’d have done if I discovered the leak on a morning before work. It hurt financially, but that’s all so far. This happen to anyone else?

G.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Leave the old filter running for a few weeks, and do a few test's periodically (mostly ammo and nitrite) I have done this several times without any loss just have to watch for a spike. I would also feed sparingly for a little while to avoid introducing too much waste and slowly increase the amount. Nice save and excellent timing.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
:mad::mad::mad::mad: LUCKY!!! when I was younger, I had only a ten gallon community tank (most likely way overcrowded, cant remember) that looked fine in the morning before elem. school, but was empty by the time I got back from school! only 5 fish survived, all three of my cories (two bronze and an albino) and two white clouds. we got the empty 29 gallon from my grandma, filled it up, and had no choice but to put the fish in an uncycled tank. the ammonia went so high, that the chart couldn't even read that high! miraculously though, teh two bronze cories survived and watched fish come and go for about 4 more years before passing of old age.

I hope you aren't as unlucky as me and are very successful with your new tank. enjoy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts