Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so by random, i got a guy and girl blue platty, and so apparently they breed like guppies. well i guess they r gona breed no matter what, but im a bit confused.
the guy seems to like the girl, but when he swims to her, she swims away fast. kinda like a chasing game.
she not like him or somthing?

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
It sounds like she is not in 'the mood' -- not ready for mating. Perhaps she is young, or not in breeding condition. I know there are experts on the board who can tell you just what to feed, and the best water perameters for breeding. They should chime in shortly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
For fish like platys, mollies and guppies it is important to provide the male with at least 3 females. The males are, shall we say, persistent, and they will literally stress a single female to death if there are no other females to distract him. This is assuming you want babies - if you don't then trade in the male for another female, because the male is not going to let up!

When it comes to these fish the question is not how to get them to breed, but how to get them to STOP. :)

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
that is normal for the male to chase the female constantly.... that doesn't necissarily mean it's healthy for her though. you need to get another two female platies or seperate the male from the female. good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts