Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, This is my frst thread on my first forum, please bare with me. I have dabbled here and there with salt tanks over the past several years and am now able to spend the time to nurture a reef set up. I recently purchased 2 Bio Cubes, both 29 gallons. They're both running great; however, I'm not real excited about the bio balls. I would like to convert the bio ball chamber into a refugium and would love some help (and advice) with this. There is a clear pannel on the back of the tank and I have a magnetic refugium light ready. The problem I am having is how to get the water level in the bio cube chamber high enough to support the water level I need to introduce the plants. Also, I've been researching the plant material for a refugium, and advice there would also be helpful. *H2

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with converting the HOB to a refugium as I have sump setup. I am interested to hear how the mag light works for you. I am looking at it for mine.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Hi Kathy, welcome aboard! I don't have that tank, never worked on one either, so I cant advise how to modify it (sorry). But I can tell you that the algae of choice is Chaeto (pronounced "kay-toe") for a refugium. It forms a tight ball and grows fast, does not need substrate, and overall is usually the best choice and probably most common algae for a reef's refugium. There's a picture of it here: http://www.aquariumforum.com/f19/chaetomorpha-algae-your-saltwater-tank-1110.html

Please keep us posted how the modification goes. If you post some pics that would help those of us who don't have that tank give you some tips on how you can modify it to suit your needs. In either event, hope you enjoy the site and again, welcome aboard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts