Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was great while it lasted. I recently (1 week) bought a tank and with it came the fish. They were on my previous signature all of which having the potential of some aggression - Needlefish, big Tinfoil barbs, Kissing fish, etc. so even for my 80 gallon tank they looked to be a little uncomfortable and no way could I have smaller fish. So, with that I traded them to a good home with a 150gl tank master and have kept the clown loaches, small bala sharks and have added the below for now on my signature below. More to come like rainbows, tetras etc.

Next, substrate and starting an aquascape - Am calling Dr. Fosters today for lighting options as I've already laid down the substrate - $$$!

Any tips on lighting for an 80gl tank?

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Lighting would depend on how involved you want to get with your plants. Higher light requires ferts and co2. What are your plans for type of plants and ferts?

One suggestion I would like to make is up your numbers on fish. especially the tiger barbs. That small of number will lead to a lot of fin nipping. In the size of tank that you have I would suggest 10 to 15.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
i would suggest a little more glofish too.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
tank is too small for an arrowana

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree on the amounts of fish. I'm going all low light plants with a 36" 95 watt bulb.

tank is too small for an arrowana
Which one on my signature is this?

Also..1 glofish died today - looked like it had white fuzz around face? some glofish look like they're bloated in the belly? Small amounts of food twice a day -

?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
sorry another member posted that u should get an arowana but his/her post was removed when he/she got banned for breaking the rules a few times.

2 small feedings is actually a little less than most people feed. the disease sounds like mouth rot or velvet, not sure about the bloated ones.

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Feeding schedule is debatable. I feed mine once a day except for the fry growouts and they get fed 3 to 4 times a day. Most tanks also get a day of fasting, one day a week without food.

Fish can usually go for days without food and no harm done. but baby fish I wouldn't trust even a fasting day as I want them to grow and be healthy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd like to know what water parameters you have in the tank- sounds like the fish aren't doing so well. I might recommend dosing some pimafix in the future to help with the "fuzz around the face" however, the bloating could be any number of things, including bloat, swim bladder disorder and the like.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The bloating could be dropsy, a bacterial infection that is quite contagious. If so, it needs to be treated with antibiotics (e.g. tetracycline). Frequent water changes help in this case, too. If those white patches are mouth fungus (which is actually the bacterium Chondrococcus columnaris) it can be treated with penicillin pretty effectively. Hope the fish health issues clear up soon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts