Aquarium Forum banner

Just picked up my first nano cube now I have questions :-D

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Chillwill007 
#1 ·
Ok soooooooo Just picked up my first nanocube 24g.

Came with the whole setup + heater, skimmer, extra power head for 225 :) pretty good deal if you ask me.

My questions are as fallows:

Should I purchase the upgraded HQI if i only want to do SPS? I'm assuming yes but i figured those 50/50's in 24g might be OK.

Is the skimmer good or bad? I heard stories that it sucks, and as you may or may not be aware I dont use a skimmer on my 150g reef.

Should I start from scratch or should I fill it up with water from my 150? I was thinking doing half from my current tank and half new water.

Should i run another powerhead? It currently only has the one that comes with it and i prefer hydor powerheads. Will this be to much?

#2 ·
I have built "nano tanks" but I've never actually had anything to do with an actual nanocube so take my comments with a grain of Instant Ocean.

Answers in Blue

My questions are as fallows:

Should I purchase the upgraded HQI if i only want to do SPS? I'm assuming yes but i figured those 50/50's in 24g might be OK.

There are quite a few SPS that will thrive under the stock light but you will be limited. Adding more light will add more heat so there's a risk. Maintaining stable high quality water will be a bigger challenge with SPS that the lighting.

Is the skimmer good or bad? I heard stories that it sucks, and as you may or may not be aware I dont use a skimmer on my 150g reef.

Don't know

Should I start from scratch or should I fill it up with water from my 150? I was thinking doing half from my current tank and half new water.

Makes no difference to the nano but I'm sure an extra water change on the 150 isn't going to hurt any.

Should i run another powerhead? It currently only has the one that comes with it and i prefer hydor powerheads. Will this be to much?

If it were me I would add more waterflow. Adding more flow will add more heat so there's a risk.

#3 ·
The skimmer is ok, but u need to adjust it a lot.

#5 ·
I have a 12g nanocube and I'd say lose the skimmer. You don't need it at all if you do regular water changes. The stock lighting is actually pretty good for most corals, but I'd suggest upgrading if you really want to be serious about SPS; but then you'll definitely need plenty of air movement to keep the water from getting too hot. It certainly can't hurt to use water from your 150g; some substrate and/or filter media from your big tank would be good too. I'd get more water flow going in there. The power head it comes with is good, but a nice Hydor would be good. Let us know how it goes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.