Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A red belly. Its only 1.5" right now and i have it in a 10 gallon tank. Gonna keep it there until it starts to grow a bit and transfer it to a 55gal. Anyone know the growth rate of them?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
wow be careful! they can inflict nasty bites, and possibly take a finger off!! I thought it was illegal to import pirahnas into the US and if u are in the US u most likely got ripped and what u have is a pacu, which will need a much bigger tank.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
illegal? Everyone around here sells them. I'm in Michigan. Its a piranha for sure.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
u checked the teeth? are they super-sharp? if u really have a pirahna, they need to be in schools of about 3.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, a lot of nay sayers on this board. Guess i will head back to the piranha Forum.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
u checked the teeth? are they super-sharp? if u really have a pirahna, they need to be in schools of about 3.
oh, and i have been told by people on piranha forums that red bellies should be alone or in schools of 3. It depends on the breed of piranha.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Reactions: malachi

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that is an awesome fish. good luck
thanks, im excited to watch it grow. They had them for sale already 3-4" but i wanted to watch him grow and have it a little longer. And the large ones were $40-50.

·
Registered
285 Posts
A red belly. Its only 1.5" right now and i have it in a 10 gallon tank. Gonna keep it there until it starts to grow a bit and transfer it to a 55gal. Anyone know the growth rate of them?
They grow really fast. They grow faster than angels I can say that.. it takes about 6 - 7 months just for an angel to reach about 5-7" I believe.. but if you feed piranha's a LOT of food, then they will for sure grow fast.

Just like Oscars, they are rapidly fast growers. What do you have in the 55 gallon tank right now?? the Piranha's can't really stay with anything except for plecos.. and other piranhas, or aggressive fishes like cichlids..

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They grow really fast. They grow faster than angels I can say that.. it takes about 6 - 7 months just for an angel to reach about 5-7" I believe.. but if you feed piranha's a LOT of food, then they will for sure grow fast.

Just like Oscars, they are rapidly fast growers. What do you have in the 55 gallon tank right now?? the Piranha's can't really stay with anything except for plecos.. and other piranhas, or aggressive fishes like cichlids..
no fish in it yet, its empty. I was gonna set it up soon and let it cycle a couple weeks and put some plants in it. Still researching that. But i was thinking a pleco, but might just give whole tank to the red.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
cichlids are too slow. the piranhas will eat cichlids alive.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
Just a warning to anyone who is thinking of doing it..... the plec should be fine

1 - 20 of 47 Posts