Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

Now that we're getting settled it's time to set up the tank again! Just got some new gravel and a few plants yesterday, tonight I'll start setting up my German aquarium... the stepup for 110V -> 220V is already in place, should work out just fine.

Something completely new for me was that even in "Green" Portland they're using chloramines in the tap water :( Over in Europe only slight chloride and ozone are common. As I start out with plants for the first three-four weeks I'll see if the ammino levels won't go down after awhile and for small water changes I guess tap water should be ok. Any experience on that one?

Appreciate your support folks! Feels good to have 'em fishies again... Can't wait to settle the tank again!!!

R+
Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So! Set the tank up w/ plants yesterday night and had a very interesting effect with my pump.

It's designed for 220Volts and 50 Hz frequency.

So I installed a step up which converts the 110V 60Hz input to 220V and 60Hz resulting in the pump running at 120% of the original rpm.

It's been going well all night, let's see if the pump stand as long as it was designed for!

The higher flowrate should at least improve my filtering so maybe I could have 1 or 2 fishies more in the tank than I had over in Europe!

R+
Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For a start (as long as the water conditions are not stable & perfect) I'd like to start with a couple of platies, I had pretty good experiences with them as first settlers in a new tank.

Once conditions get better I'll probably add some neon tetras, later 1-2 plecos and the last step for this year will most likely be 3 angel fish (1 male and 2-3 female).

R+
Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome, germany to the states and very fluent english, you in the service?

what size tank is this?
Nope, it's not the service... I was hired by a German company that's recycling process material for Solar Industry out in the greater Portland area.

My tank is a 120l, Jewel Lido 120. That would be about 31.7 gallons.

R+
Chris

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Reactions: McMillan73

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Nope, it's not the service... I was hired by a German company that's recycling process material for Solar Industry out in the greater Portland area.

My tank is a 120l, Jewel Lido 120. That would be about 31.7 gallons.

R+
Chris
thats a different answer lol. learn something new everyday.

How about that german welfare system eh? my aunt just got deported back to germany a few months ago. she couldnt behave here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
/snip/
How about that german welfare system eh? my aunt just got deported back to germany a few months ago. she couldnt behave here.
LOL! Hope that'll never happen to me, I'm really a lot more comfortable in the US... Just can't stand the rude German manners anymore! Their welfare system is kind of what we're headed for here in the states right now... Government has their greedy little hands pretty deep in German pockets!

R+
Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well...
the tank was pretty cloudy yesterday + the green color from chloramine. I guess I'll get prime tomorrow so the bound chlor gets taken out but the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate stays for cycling the tank.

After putting in fish I guess for the water changes I'll switch to Ammo Lock so I won't get any nitrate peaks after each wc.

Does anyone do similar or do you guys all use prime for "neutralizing" tap water from our "green" cities?

R+
Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the tank's up and running by now. pH 6.8, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate either 0 or below 25ppm, Hardness is around 2 dH and the plants already started growing pretty fast. Just added Iron fert and cycle bacteria for two days and it seems like they're doing a hell of a job!
Added a little fish food flakes for feeding bacteria, let's see tonight if Nitrate levels will reflect this.

If my tank keeps going this fast I'll think about getting ther first platies or mollies next weekend!

R+
Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tank's cycled by now and since last weekend five wagtail platies are happy new neighbors! I've already weeded out some of the original plants and this weekend I'll be looking for some zebras!

Pictures will be posted & future projects will be posted in the respective forums.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome to the (aquatic) states!

R+
Chris

·
Zippy
57 Posts
Welcome!

Has the Mtn (Hood) been out lately? I remember this expression from living in Vancouver when my husband worked in Portland years ago.

I hope you have discovered by now that a cycled tank pretty quickly eliminates chloramines. I had an uncycled tank with a betta in it for a while. I could get the chloramines down with Amquel+ but it wouldn't stay down. I have heard Prime works better but never bought any. Finally ended up cycling the tank when I had a place to temporarily re-home the betta. Now all is well. It is nice that the airlines and rubber parts are no longer crusted up because of the chloramines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...good question! TO OR FROM ... didn't even realize it when I was writing ;-)

As an engineer I should have provided a drawing from the beginning...

Before: ME in Germany
Then ME(Germany) --> ME(US)
Now: Me in US....

Getting there?!*pc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts