Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, got me this canister filter and while reading the instructions a question popped in my mind.

The instructions says to place the microfiltration pad last, after the bio media.

I tought it would be best to place the bio media last, so no fish poop and uneaten food would remain in it's compartment.

Secondly, this canister came with a measly amount of bio media, what else could I use? or should I stick with what Rena sells. I've heard I could even use the cheap plastic scrubbers found at the dollar store.

And, I believe the bacteria in the biological filter thrives in an oxigen rich enviroment, so what about splicing the inlet hose of the canister and connect my air pump to it? that way I would not have to aerate the tank, the canister would do everything.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, However most of the wast will be removed at the bottom through the foam. The top tray "Micro Filtration Pad" is to get the very small particles out as it will help polish the water. At the end of the day you want a "little" poop to go throught the bio media to keep the bugs alive. You will love this filter. Look into Seachem Purigen & Matrix in stead of using filter carbon and the provided bio-media.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts