Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 medium goldfish are totally gorging themselves on my new java moss (which is slowly being reduced to nothing).

Nothing I can do?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hahaha you're so right. just about half is gone now...I'd say $3 worth haha.

oh well at least they look happy.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
You know what??? ive seen several threads here lately about Java moss taking over, maybe youve hit on somthing ??? If you got Java Moss taking over get a gold fish. Good natural Java Moss control

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you put in a small large mesh cover over the moss you can create a refuge for the plant and then the fish can only reach what grows beyond the mesh which will allow both to survive. But it can be hard to keep this looking nice.
In the past I have used the little baskets strawberries come in for this and it worked well and when a nice rock feature or piece of driftwood was placed in front hid it well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply Sapro! I'll be testing out using the plastic mesh net that you can buy bunches of oranges or onions in at the grocery store. I plan to make somewhat of a refuge surrounding the moss and the driftwood so the plant can get a head start growing, then be munched on a bit by the goldfish. Hopefully the goldfish won't get caught in the net...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not any more...now each one is worth about $1.25 due to all the moss they ate! LOL

Maybe try feeding the fish more or giving them algae wafers since they seem to like the moss?
Ah I didn't factor in the consumed moss! These lil guys are starting to get expensive! =)

I'll try feeding them more often...still small amounts as I'm cycling.

I'd be happy to have a small group of automatic pruners in my tank =).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts