Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is to discuss things that work for you but might not work for me.
example: I use pot scrubbies for mechicanical filtration(carbon cartriges are to expensive and have to be cleaned/changed to much, besides i dont need chemical filtration). My 27" giant gourami tank mates are assorted africans/synos and can fit in his mouth but he wont eat them even though he is omnivore. What things work for you but is almost unheard of in another tank? please share experiences..

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Out of the numerous tanks i have running there are about 6 that were initially set up more than 10 years ago. They are always clear, I never lose a fish to disease, If they leave its due to their age or i get bored and want something different. I never use any chemicals to adjust water chemistry, I dont own a test kit. I do weekly water changes, and vac the tanks at the same time, i do faithful monthly filter maintenance, and i use a magnetic glass cleaner to keep the viewing area clean. I guess this is called low tech fishkeeping but it Works For Me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Out of the numerous tanks i have running there are about 6 that were initially set up more than 10 years ago. They are always clear, I never lose a fish to disease, If they leave its due to their age or i get bored and want something different. I never use any chemicals to adjust water chemistry, I dont own a test kit. I do weekly water changes, and vac the tanks at the same time, i do faithful monthly filter maintenance, and i use a magnetic glass cleaner to keep the viewing area clean. I guess this is called low tech fishkeeping but it Works For Me.
I dont own a test kit either, If you do WC/vac without fail every week there should be no need to test your water.

·
Registered
57 Posts
thats funny i thought i was the only one. haha.

i watched your video Imight, that is a very cool fish. i noticed you said youre running two eheim filters in tandom. does that mean both filters share an intake and outlet tube? or do you have twin intake and outlet tubes?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Low maintence works for me, Up the filtration, stock all sorts of nocturnal and diurnal species to keep the tank clean, I do my filters once a month. I dont do weekly WC's however at 27 days with no WC yes I would drink the water thats in there. Its clear, tests read perfect, no algae outbreaks or bacteria blooms.

I also have close to 100 fish in the tank, however most are smaller fry that are leaving so normal stocking is 40 or so danios and gups, then cories otos and kuhlis also about 3 dozen MT snails.

I am about as unorthodox as it gets. I am smart about it and not stupid. I push limits but have common sense if that makes sense.

·
Registered
143 Posts
When I had my aquariums, I did test the water, not so much cause I had probs or bad water constantly, but to make sure it had no probs. Sometimes your fish maybe hurting or your water can have probs and you won't be able to tell, it may seem like it's all good. Of course, some people have told me that they can tell by the reaction of the fish and although that may be true (Even I've done it like that) once you get to know YOUR fish...I'd just rather play it safe and be cautious.

And for filteration, there is no set way I do it. I just go along with what I plan on getting. I plan what I want first, see the need of every fish and then try to set up the tank according to the fish's needs. Not the other way around....meaning setting up the tank first and then deciding on the fish. Beacaus sometimes the set up that you have may not be good for what you want.

EXAMPLE: I had a friend who thought he would never get into goldfish, he got his 55 set up with everything and at the end, he decided he wanted goldfish. Little did he know, goldfish are coldwater fish, and well, there goes the heater. Lucky for him, that wasn't a major change. But hopefully you understand what I'm saying.

Or maybe it's just me working backwards *#3 Maybe I'm just weird like that. But hey weird is good and it works for me. :)

I don't mind the high or low maintenance levels. I love working with fish and every other pet/animal I can get my hands on. I love all creatures, with the exeption of some humans..... *r2

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats funny i thought i was the only one. haha.

i watched your video Imight, that is a very cool fish. i noticed you said youre running two eheim filters in tandom. does that mean both filters share an intake and outlet tube? or do you have twin intake and outlet tubes?
both canisters share inlet and outlet tubes.Thank you for the kind words about my Giant Gourami

1 - 7 of 7 Posts