Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
$17,334... well I suppose if you got top of the line everything, and I mean everything, maybe. I wouldn't spend that kind of money but... Well let's see, a 500g tank. :fish9: That's not cheap. Then super top of the line computer controlled lighting. Not cheap either. Double extra terrific filtration, skimmer, the works. Not cheap. (great idea though :)) Reinforcing your living abode. 500g of water is about 2 tons (4000 lbs. or a small car.) Cost unknown but a lot I'm sure. Ummm, huge amount of live coral, plants, ventilation, hand raised shrimp, etc. etc. etc. Oh, and your own personal Veterinarian. Ok, maybe $17,334. I mean, what the hey. It's only money! *w3 Oh yeah... salt. Gotta have salt!

Ok, seriously. I'm sure you could spend that kind of money if you wanted too but I had a 45g salt tank (fresh at first, then turned to salt) and I didn't more that $200 bucks. Anyway, my guess (and this is a totally uninformed guess) would be more like $5000 to $7000 for the average person. Still a pretty big chunk of money but hey, it is a 500g tank. Be totally cool though. *pc

·
i need another tank.
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually that 17k is for a 90 gallon fish tank.

·
Registered
190 Posts
90g huh. Ok then, no way. 90g tank with stand, filtration, lighting and all the bells and whistles, $2000ish. Fish, live coral, decorations, stuff, another $2000. Throw another $1000 on for price gouging = $5000ish Oh and personal Vet... priceless

Reactions: big b

·
i need another tank.
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I knew that was way to much. 17K would be a good number for a 500 gallon but not for a tiny 90 gallon. A 90 gallon is not that tiny but it's not that big either.
If you had a 500 gallon sw tank, would you do the water changes yourself, of hire someone to do it for you? I myself would hire someone cuz I would stock that thing to the MAX with groupers and all them cool fish :p

·
i need another tank.
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah dude, stock it up with a bunch of cool fish. I am actually planning for a couple huge sw tanks one day. Mostly because I want this bad*** shark. It is actually not that cool but I love it. Also for a few other fish. I will get you a list in a second.

·
i need another tank.
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok found the stocking list, I am a bit crazy. But who isn't?
Japanese dragon eel (Enchelycore pardalis)
White mouthed moray eel (Gymnothorax meleagris)
Miniatus grouper (Cephalopholis miniata)
Panther grouper (Chromileptes altivelis)
volitan lionfish (Pterois volitans)
California Stingray (Urolophus maculatus)
banded cat shark (Chiloscyllium punctatum)
Horn shark (Heterodontus francisci)

I am getting all of these names from this site
Buy Saltwater Fish & Coral - Marine Fish, Live Coral, Salt Water Aquarium Fish, and Tropical Fish from BlueZooAquatics

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah man, I'll take a stingray. They are way cool. I loved my salt tank but the upkeep was too much. You have to wipe them down every day or salt gets everywhere. And even so it still does anyway, Still, way cool fish. Loved my cleaner shrimp. And I love your idea of a lion fish. They are awesome.

·
i need another tank.
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But dude you have not scratched the surface of saltwater keeping until you have kept a shark. Think about it, a shark would be SO COOL!!!!!!!! Also that stingray is commonly used in touch tanks at big public aquariums :)

·
Vodka Doser
6,492 Posts
90g huh. Ok then, no way. 90g tank with stand, filtration, lighting and all the bells and whistles, $2000ish. Fish, live coral, decorations, stuff, another $2000. Throw another $1000 on for price gouging = $5000ish Oh and personal Vet... priceless
$5000 for a 90g tank??? No way. Not even close. $2000 for live coral and deco and fish?? Say what? I spent WAY WAY less than you'd possibly imagine for a 240g tank......... Its all in the shopping.

·
i need another tank.
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just saw an anthias sold for 2 grand. The fish world is crazy. But it draws me in and the more I fight it the more I want to give in.

·
i need another tank.
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey yall I just found out about tessalata eels and I'm scared. That thing is inches away from being a 10 foot eel. I am 4 inches taller from being 5 foot even(yep 5'4") and That thing could swallow me I bet!!! I would not go near a fully grown one in a tank unless that thing was locked and bolted shut. What a pain it would be to move an eel of that size.

·
Registered
190 Posts
$5000 for a 90g tank??? No way. Not even close. $2000 for live coral and deco and fish?? Say what? I spent WAY WAY less than you'd possibly imagine for a 240g tank......... Its all in the shopping.
Yeah, so did I. You just have to remember they're trying to sell you something. And make lots of money...

·
Vodka Doser
6,492 Posts
Yea, i hear ya there. To many people get drawn into the new tank with everything deal, and those deals are the worst.
I only spent $300 on an 8'x2'x2' 240g tank. $180 for the stand.

·
i need another tank.
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I saw a 125 gallon with a price tag of over a thousand bucks, I'm not sure if it includes the stand.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I saw a 125 gallon with a price tag of over a thousand bucks, I'm not sure if it includes the stand.
What, that old thing!?! I'll sell you one, with the stand for $2000 dollars. Today only!

·
i need another tank.
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha Brads, not with them barbs and goldfish you wont,lol. I saw it at my lfs.My parents don't like for me to go on Craigslist cuz they say there are 2 types of Craigslist. I think she is talking about another one that is for "casual encounters". But you can get some pretty sweet deals on that site.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Craigslist casual encounters!?! You wouldn't *J/D*

1 - 20 of 21 Posts