Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!! I’ve had my tank running for 41 days now with zebra danios in! My tank wasn’t cycling and it was only showing Ammonia so about 5 days ago (On Day 36) I added in Tetra Safe Start I tested my levels today and got 0.50 Ammonia, 0.25 Nitrite, and 5.0 Nitrates. I have finally been able to see nitrites and nitrates after over 5 weeks! I know the ammonia and nitrite should be at 0 but I was wondering if it’s possible to have all 3 ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates in a tank at once? Is my tank cycled? And how do I solve this, should I do a water change to bring down ammonia and nitrite?

·
Registered
Community Tank
15 Posts
Hey!! I’ve had my tank running for 41 days now with zebra danios in! My tank wasn’t cycling and it was only showing Ammonia so about 5 days ago (On Day 36) I added in Tetra Safe Start I tested my levels today and got 0.50 Ammonia, 0.25 Nitrite, and 5.0 Nitrates. I have finally been able to see nitrites and nitrates after over 5 weeks! I know the ammonia and nitrite should be at 0 but I was wondering if it’s possible to have all 3 ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates in a tank at once? Is my tank cycled? And how do I solve this, should I do a water change to bring down ammonia and nitrite?
No, not yet, you should see the levels go up, then back down to zero. Keep changing water and doing what you are until the levels drop back down to zero. It takes time, but once you have the biological filter established, it all gets easier. Just don't add anymore fish until the levels drop back to zero. Then add gradually. You will only ever have enough bio filtration to handle the present load. To increase the level of bio filtration, you must increase the load. And if the load drops off because of less fish,waste,ect, then the biological filtration will drop also. So always ad fish slowly giving your biological filter time to adjust. I hope this is a more clear than muddy water. Lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts