Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am a bit new to fish keeping. My girlfriend seems to know a lot more after working in a pet store... but I figured I would ask you all since you know best. We have a small goldfish and a small koi in a 10 gal tank. Now I don't want to overcrowd them but is it possible to reasonably keep any type of small catfish also? or are these two best off on their own? I was just looking for a smaller fish to keep around to clean up and to have something else a bit neat to look at. (I seem to have a thing for catfish... always wish I could have some pictus catfish :() So is there any freshwater one that could possibly live with them?

Thanks

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
The goldfish needs at least a 20 gal, the koi will need a pond before to long. They can get
2 to 3 ft. Not good as an aquarium fish. You really don't need anything else in that tank at all. I would take the fish back to the store and get tropicals that are smaller and stay smaller.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Luckily I do have a pond just a little down the road on my uncles property for the koi, it is somewhat small but has tiny panfish and such in it. How long do you think it will take for the goldfish to need the 20 gal? and how big of a tank would you think I need for Two pictus catfish?

Thank you for your advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts