Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it ok to add little salt?

I heard you should add a little salt in tanks with mollies to prevent infection.
I have albino corrys and ghost shrimp in the tank and I was wondering if it'd be safe to add 2 or 3 teaspoons of sea salt to my 10 gallon tank.

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
Cory's and live plants do not like salt added to the tank. Whereas livebearers appreciate 1tsp of salt to each 5 gallons of aquarium water. But some salt should be ok as long as it is not too much. You can cut the salt dose in half, so a total of 1tsp salt for your 10 gallon tank.

Salt does treat infections pretty well and I'd rather use salt before any medication so it wont kill the benificial bacteria and plants in my main tank. Ive had a few breakouts in ich and salt worked the best for me. I didnt add any to my main tank because I have live plants but when I start see any signs or symptoms of parasites, such as the fish rubbing itself on my plant leaves, I'll immediately seperate all the fish into my quarantine tank for about 5 days and add 1tsp per 5 gallons (along with some meds). Most of the ich in the main tank will die off due to no fish host. Ive never lost a fish since.

Im not sure if the shrimps can tolerate salt or not. Maybe someone else with more experience can answer that =D

Reactions: LVL UP

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Mollies like salt, they actually need a little to flourish.

Salt with plants and corydoras I dont believe at all, I use it and have both in all my tanks(6) my corydoras swim thru the plume it emits when it dissolves in water.

My ghost shrimp were fine with salt, the thing with salt is to have a constant minimum level in there or none at all. I only speak from what Ive had first hand with and I use this stuff monthly. I use 1 tbsp per 30g, it keeps it in there but minimal and well Ive never had any disease in these tanks. None.

I had fish deaths and illness alot when I didnt use it at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts