Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new male/female pair of little convicts spend a lot of time chasing. Actually its the female that is chasing the male. They are only about 1.5". So I am assuming they are only a few months old at most. The female is definately more in control of the tank. Is it normal behavior for her to chase him around like this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cichlids chase - they're territorially aggressive. If there are two fish in the tank, then they will chase each other. One will end up being dominant (in your case, the female).

Make sure the male has plenty of hiding places (rocks, plants, etc), and as long as he's allowed by her to come out and feed, the chasing is not non-stop and she's not actually biting, then he "Should" be okay.

Watch for ragged fins and the male cowering in a corner - especially a top back corner - for any length of time. Those are danger signals.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply. They eat together, and they sleep together(side by side) they spend time together swimming around, but every now and then she just starts chasing him, and he ends up hiding in the java moss usually. I dont think she is biting him, but i will keep and eye out on his fins. In fact she is chasing him as i type this. lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, cool. I love their personality, especially the female. If i pull a chair up to the tank and sit down, she comes to the glass and follows me around the glass. They are very cool fish.

·
Registered
47 Posts
ok, cool. I love their personality, especially the female. If i pull a chair up to the tank and sit down, she comes to the glass and follows me around the glass. They are very cool fish.
That sounds pretty normal. With any Cichlid, you just need to keep an eye on behavior. It can change as they get older. Later if they pair off and breed, watch closely because one parent will sometimes "distrust" the other with eggs or fry and beat them up badly. I lost a beautiful female black angelfish once when her mate beat her to death.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds pretty normal. With any Cichlid, you just need to keep an eye on behavior. It can change as they get older. Later if they pair off and breed, watch closely because one parent will sometimes "distrust" the other with eggs or fry and beat them up badly. I lost a beautiful female black angelfish once when her mate beat her to death.
oh wow, i will definately keep an eye on them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts