Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted earlier about new cloudiness in 80 gallon tank (pH 6.4, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 20 nitrates)and it occurred to me that maybe one of my large rock could be decomposing and causing iron - maybe -. I'm just guessing. Anybody know how to test the rock for Iron? Or test the water. My dear husband is really anxious about the cloudiness and I catch him pacing in front of the tank, deep in thought. I'd really like him to sit down and enjoy the fish!

Also, does anybody know what to do with overabundance of marble mollies? Looking for humane solution, since pet stores nearby don't want them.:animated_fish_swimm

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Any idears as to where the rock came from? Get some vinegar and place a few drops on it. If it bubbles, it's generally not recommended to use.

Some slate will have iron in it as well. You will notice then with the rust colored stripes in it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, James, for your insight. I thought I had heard that vinegar would let you know if iron was present.*w3 I don't remember where the rock came from. I think I'll pull it and test it. As luck would have it, today, after three months of cloudiness, the tank seems to be clearing. Go figure.

Paronaram: We use an Eheim. We have had it for more than 10 years, but have used it for maybe 5 of those years. We've had questions about the filter that we have been unable to answer. We wondered if the problem was the filter, but, as I said above, the water seems to be clearing.

Being new to this forum, I'm not sure about protocol. Don't know if I should begin a new thread regarding filter questions, but I figure someone will let me know if I go ahead and pose them here!

When we first bought the filter, we meticulously kept the manufacturer's levels of media according to the instructions. Following a few years of no fish, we decided to get the tank going and asked the local Eheim dealer if there were any new recommendations for the filter media. He told us that the media we currently used was good and so we continued using the ceramic rings and gravel layers with carbon in a removable bag and topping it all off with filter floss. I was concerned because the material level in the filter was much lower than I remember it being when we first bought the filter. He said it was okay, that the manufacturer wanted to sell more product, so they recommend keeping the filter full to the brim. We have been using the filter as the dealer recommended and it seems to have been doing its job. However, with the recent cloudiness, we were considering beefing up the substrate and trying more floss to see if we got better results.

A neighbor bought a new Eheim six months ago and we thought we would mimic his setup (blue polishing pad, "cocoa puff" substrate, and filter floss with occasional addition of carbon). We wondered if adding the substrate available in our area (looks like cocoa puffs) would be okay if we added it to our existing media.

For having fish for so long, we are certainly slow learners. Any information is welcome and appreciated. *n1

·
Registered
756 Posts
It does not detect iron, and iron would not be bad for your tank. I believe if a rock bubbles it has calcuim carbonate. The rock will end up raising the pH of your tank and is sometimes used in cichlid tanks.

If the cloudiness is white, it may be a bacteria bloom. This is normal for a new tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is not a new tank, so the bacteria bloom is not a certainty. Also, I have never heard of bacteria blooms lasting for three months!:fish-in-a-bag:

Thanks for your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts