Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an Iridescent Shark 2 weeks ago. He was doing good at first. He started acting funny the next day, he was laying around in the tank. He would eat when I put food in. He seemed to get better after a few days and swam around a lot more. He had no ich, fungus, popeye, nothing. He looked great. He didnt look bloaded. I found him dead a few min. ago, laying on the bottom. Please if anyone can help me figure out why he died, that would be great. I had the water tested at a local fish store last week and they said my water readings was at normal range. He was in the tank with a elephant nose fish, and a fancy gold fish. Thank you!

·
Registered
38 Posts
First off I am sorry for your loss.

Second, can you give some specifics on the tank? Temperature, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, PH, etc? What size tank?

Also I believe most Goldfish are coldwater fish and do not do well in tropical environments. I am not sure about the Elephant Nose as I have no experience with them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant give readings untill tomorrow, but I kept the temp set at, 78. The fancy gold fish and the elephant nose are doing great. They all did well together. The test, the fish store gave me was a color test strip. They put the strip in some water I took in, and everything was reading in normal ranges. I really trust them on that, I have been going to them for years. I'm going to get my own test kit tomorrow to double check. I just dont know what could of been wrong with him. Thanks for the reply

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
When you get the tests, make sure to get them for ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates, those are the most important ones. Best to get the liquid tests as they are more accurate than the strips. When you get these post here all the numbers from above and the size of tank that they are in.

Also with the iridescent sharks they do get rather big (like up to 4 ft) and shouldn't be sold in the hobby unless you are able to provide for it long term. Like thousands of gallons in a tank size.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i have 2 iredescents and sharks did you have enough water movement and air in there they are real particular about that .. they are pretty hearty except they are freak fish.. they crah into things in your tank etc. thermostats .. my 2 i got actually were electrocuted after they cracked the thermostat also a higher tank 81 degrees is also better .. a powerhead is also very helpful 4 them 2

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
goldfish are really messy.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I agree with you on that.....but I only have one and its not bad just haveing one. He actually cleans all the time. About 5 years ago I put feeders in with my O's and they didnt eat two of them, and the two feeders got huge, I mean like a good 6-7 inches! they pooped a lot lol they also give off anomia wich isnt good for some fish...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts