Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I was invited here from a twitter thread. My user name on Twitter is Junkglass.
I am in the precess of restocking a 3 acre tank with catfish fingerlings. The tank is over stocked with bass and perch and I have been fishing the small ones out.
Also have too many turtles at the moment and am looking at ways to deal with them.
:-D I bet mine is the wrong kind of tank. :) thats what they call them in Texas, most people refer them as ponds. :p

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
*w2 Monroe, glad youre here, Glad you explained that 3 acre tank thing i was starting to try to imagine the size of your house, that could hold a tank that size :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yeah I was starting to do the head scratch on that one, LOL. Welcome to the forum! Its great to have you here with us, even if your tanks a little on the "big" side of things.

That sounds like a tank that calls for some Blues in it! I have been stocking a local urban pond that a series of inter connected 4-7 acres sized ponds with some Brooder sized Blues (10-20 lbs) for the last couple of years. There is no shortage of shad and sunfish in these ponds. Should be a real fun place to hit on the way home from work here in another year or so.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Sorry i should have posted before when i moved your post so i say: Welcome to the site! And that is 1 ENORMOUS tank!

Reactions: JIM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I fished the tank today and caught 3 large mouth bass each about 2.5 lbs.
I just moved back to Texas after living in Florida the past 15 years. Years ago I had the tank in good shape, but it has been let go. *#3

G

·
welcome to the site! be sure to post some pics of that tank/pond for us!!! i look forward to hearing more about it from you :)

by the way, what kind of turtles do you have???

cheers,
tim

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Texas is a great place to live i was there for a couple of years when i was in the Military at Ft Hood, and my Son lives there now in Copperas Cove. He is currently a Captain of the Guard at a prison there. I loved the weather there but the scorpions i could take or leave, and also the tarantulas..were not high on my list.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fort Hood. :) My brother worked on base all his working career. My home town is Gatesville, Tx, but I am now in Mt Vernon , Tx.
I will get some pic's of the tank, the turtles. A couple of white cranes have been spending the spring and summer months there for years. Beautiful birds. Besides fish I love birds.
I miss Florida, and all the wildlife. My baby daughter stayed and is going to buy my house there. Says she is from Florida, not Texas. :) I always kept a bird feeder and bath n the back and enjoyed just watching.
I don't watch much TV preferring to be outdoors. Even as a kid growing up I loved to romp through the woods. Early one Sunday morning before the family awoke I penned a poem while reminiscing. I wil share it. :-D Just Don't laugh too loud. :p
Faded jeans, T-shirts, and dirty tennis shoes
is what I wore on Saturday to chase away my blues
I'd slip off to the back woods exploring every trail
I was Davie Crockett, Daniel Boone, even William Tell
Was not a tree I didn't climb, a creek I didn't wade
A field of clover anywhere that I did not invade
I was ruler of the forest, I was king of all the land
I was everybody's hero, I was leader of the band
Little boys with fantasies are a magical combination
Let them run, set them free to their imagination
They will remember when their old and gray
They conquered the world one Saturday

Yall take care, and I'll stop in again later.
Monroe

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Yes I have a cousin who breeds fish for a hatchery and has tanks that size and when he referred to that one day I nearly fell out of my chair, not understanding the idea at all. I needed to think "outside the box" but it is hard when you are used to dealing in gallons not acres.

Welcome to the site and I want to say that I am so happy you have joined us. You can give us a perspective on fish that we have not seen before.

Rose

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
good poem!

by white crane, do u mean the endangered whooping crane?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No they are not whooping cranes or egrets. I'm not sure exactly what species, but they are large. There is also a gray one I assume is the hen. (Is hen correct) I may be showing my ignorance. :-D

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
the whooping crane and the gray sandhill crane are the only cranes in north america. are they maybe someone's pets? oops im sorry where going off topic PM me your answer.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here with us.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts