Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I enjoy my Red Devil very very much. I have him in a 55 gallon Hexagon tank with a fairly large water column. My red devil is around 8 inches and is beautiful but I really would like to introduce another Cichlid. I have seen videos online of Red Devils and other Cichlids getting along quite well. I know I would need to set up another territory in the tank to provide ample housing for both. The two Cichlids I would be interested in introducing would be an Oscar or a Jack Dempsey. If anyone has any suggestions about how this could be possible let me know. I know its probably not the easiest or down right best idea but I would like to know how possible this is.

Nate

·
cichlidaholic
36 Posts
Um I hate to break it to ya but That tank isn't gonna hold another cichlid ,and really wont be good for the one you currently have. He would be much better off in a more standard type tank. Water column is fairly irrelevent. Its the footprint (amount of area of the bottom of the tank) that's what generally matters more for cichlid tanks, your tank doesn't really have much of one. The footprint gives you an idea of how much room the fish will have to set up territories. In a hex tank there just isn't much and adding another cichlid will just cause major problems. For one , this is the Devils tank. Anything you put in there is goingto be smack in the middle of his territory and will be attacked. There is also no room for the new fish to escape to for safety. In a bigger (much bigger) tank it would have a shot (with something more robust like a jag) but not in your current set up. Also it wont hurt to think about getting a tank that will give your fish a little more "leg room". A longer tank would be much better for him.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I actually have traded my Red Devil and will be receiving an Oscar soon, I was able to sell my Hex and get a 75 gallon rectangle tank, which will give him a much happier footprint as you say.

Thanks,

Nate

·
cichlidaholic
36 Posts
That's cool, but your gonna be in the same boat with an Oscar in a 75 as you would with any other large cichlid in in a 4' tank. That is a single specimen, possibly a pair if they're compatable. With an Oscar though it's a solo gig. And dont forget about the heavy filtration and large waterchanges you'll need to do . You don't want your new O getting HITH.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah thats true, I will remember that, I also have a few red tail tinfoil barbs that are only around 3 inches (I know they will get much larger and will have to sell or trade them.) However, will they be compatible for the mean time with the Oscar?

Nate

·
cichlidaholic
36 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem for now. You just want to make sure they wont get nippy on the O if he's smaller than they are. Other than that they ought to be fine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay great, I talked with a person at the fish store and they said taking care of a young Oscar or Oscars from the beginning is much more beneficial as they are very owner aware and will adjust to you, and really get to know you.

Nate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts