Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am new to this forum and hope this topic is in the right place. I started my first non classroom tank 4 years ago, it was a 65g tall. I found panda corys to be a favorite so I downgraded to a 40g breeder almost 3 years ago. I like the footprint better. My hubby who has a one tank rule (although I have a 10g for a beta I rescued from a classroom lol) surprised me with a 75g tank with the same footprint. He's building my stand and is making it big enough to also out my 40g breeder on. I like only real materials in the tank and I love plants so I'd love to try corals. I was going to make the 75g the freshwater and the 40 breeder the saltwater. Although I don't think I've seen a saltwater done I'm the breeder?? Well today as we're building he asked if I'd rather have a 125g on the stand instead of the two. I like to sit in front of my tank and read or watch fish.

So my questions are:

would it look crazy to have a freshwater and saltwater side by side with about a foot in between?

Should I just go for the 125 freshwater? ( my plan for the 75 is light sand dragonstone aquascape and I'd expand that for the 125. I love the almost ethereal look) with lots of moss and some other greens...

Does anyone with experience have any regrets about a tank that size or any insight that would help? I feel sort of greedy but the 125 has been a dream for awhile but I've also been wanting to try saltwater since my plants do so well I'd love to try corals...I'm totally on the fence :(

Sorry for the long intro before the questions I figured more info the better? Thanks so much

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think it is a decision for you to make! I know of no reason why you shouldn't have a fresh and salt water next to each other - but - having a 125 would be awesome.

If it were me, I would go with a 125 simply because you could concentrate on one tank and really stock and plant it in a big way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. the 120 is my dream but we got an amazing deal on the 75 with a glass top and led lights, which can be returned. (the store we got it from had it 40% off because the stand arrived broken and there was a 25% coupon we could stack onto it as well so it was pretty amazing.) I'm going to look around on craigslist and alaska's version of craigslist and see if i can find a good deal on a 120 and think about options some more. :) Thank you again <3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I have done some research on the forums and checked into craigslist, our local alaskaslist over the past few days, and i have decided to just stick with the 75 and 40 for now. :) I won't work on the 40 until I go back to work in the fall, and honestly gathering the materials I'm wanting for the 75 is proving to be a nightmare lol I had to order the sand I wanted and it arrived yesterday. I think I floated to the post office only to find it's only half as much as I ordered and it was the wrong color! lol I'm wondering if it's as challenging to find what you're looking for in the lower 48. :) Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts