Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I added a couple more Rosey barbs to my tank and apparently one of the new Rosey Barbs was attacked in the night. I thought at first he was just sick and possibly dying. He had pop-eye but when I read more about it I saw a site that said it may be caused by the fish being injured. I then noticed his tail looked like it had been badly chewed up by his tank mates.

I quickly got him into my quarantine tank and he seems to be doing a bit better (swimming around more) but his tail is still torn up and he's missing his eye from the pop-eye. :( I'm wondering what else I should do for him in the quarantine tank so he can recover faster?

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Is he in there alone ??? if not he may get beat up again, it seems in nature it is considered ok to rid the world of sick or injured individuals. I would add some salt, about 1 teaspoon per gallon, maybe some stress coat, and if he will eat be sure he always has a full belly, and hope for the best.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well, dosing with Maracyn is never a bad idea; it's good for treating/preventing secondary infections that fish can get from injuries

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello, yea the QT tank is empty. He was swimming around a little better today which was good. I'll try the salt and see if I can get some stress coat. Any special medicine? I'm hearing of Vitachem and Melafix? Put some food in today but he wasn't interested yet. He's a little fighter it's been 3 days and he's hanging on. Crossing my fingers.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Is he showing any signs of serious disease, or does he just need some quiet time to heal up from his beatings??? By the way i applaud you for your efforts to save this little fish, very commendable :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He did not appear to have any other problems except his tail and his eye but we lost the little guy last night. I was sad he didn't make it since he had to suffer through the trauma for several days.

I was really worried it was my Arulius Barb in the tank that had done the damage. He has never harmed any of the other fish and is usually very docile. I found the real culprit though when I caught the other Rosey Barb I had purchased chasing around and trying to attack another barb in the tank. I noticed the one being chased also had similar tears in his tail as the fish that just died. I immediately removed the aggressor from the tank and everyone is living harmoniously now schooling happily like good little fishies.

The killer will be returned to the Petstore today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts