Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,
Not an emergency but in the madness of the last couple days looks like one of my babies got a chunk taken out of his side.
Madness equals possible breeding behavior and one lunatic fish that's chasing everyone. I may have a pregnant one or she's just a pig.
I'm 99% positive it isn't any fungus and I watch them a lot so it must have happened yesterday or day before.
An injury such as this won't automatically start getting fungus will it?
With these guys I'd be hard pressed to catch the correct fish.
I guess for now I will keep and eye on him and hope he just heals fast.
I'll do a quick check on my water parameters but pretty sure all's well there.
Thoughts?
GG and the Ninja Smurfs

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it can, Keep water clean. If you notice fungus get fungus cure.
The product is just called fungus cure? Was gonna do a water change tomorrow, that won't shake it up to much?
When I just looked up fungus cure there was a blip that said,
" Adding 1 tablespoon of noniodized rock salt to each gallon of water is helpful in effecting a cure. In fact, salt might be all that is needed in early cases "
Thanks for your help and I await your reply.

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, thanks. I have another question, if things get bad with this little guy I do have a ten gallon tank but it's not cycled or set up.
If I fill it from the 29 and pop a heater in there would it work for a temporary hospital tank?
He looks good, no fuzzies on the wound but it didn't look like he ate this morning.

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The water contains no beneficial bacteria. You can take artificial or real plants in it. Do you have a filter for it?
Ya, I know the thing about beneficial bacteria. The plants will bring some beneficial bacteria in? I wouldn't be putting gravel in it(?)
I do have a filter and heater for it and can throw a bubbler in if I do set it up.
I went ahead and did a large water change and got some API Melafix at the LFS.
Removed carbon per instructions and just put gauze in, I suppose that's ok.(?) I figured paper towel might break down.
Cross your fingers and hope this guy bucks it up.
Thanks for all your help :)

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Nerites have climbed up to the top of the tank, still in the water but up there un-moving all day since adding Melafix.
Should I be concerned? Everything I have read say's the stuff is safe for snails, invertebrates and even fry.
I just want to make sure I don't need to pull them out.
Susan, have you ever personally treated with this med in a tank with snails?
thanks in advance

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
To tell the truth I have only treated for ich. and just with high temps. Add an air stone some meds will deplete o2.
Plenty of air pumping through there with two air featured decorations.
You might be onto something though, where they are is flooded with bubbles.
I'll see if they have moved in a bit, if not by tomorrow I may have to do another water change and hope the fish got enough of a dose today.
sigh
They aren't out of the water so I'll see where they are in the morning.
thanks

edited: Mini yay, they are on the move. :)

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Update: I can say with 99.9% certainty that Melafix DOES cause respiratory distress in Nerite snails.
When they came out last night it was only for minutes and then back up to the bubble line.
When I finally found my little guy she was inside the tube in the castle that the stream of bubbles goes up.
I did a large water change last night and another just now, they seem to be doing better.
Hope yer all well
GG

1 - 20 of 21 Posts