Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Lokking to swap a 48x 13 and cash for a 48x 18 iron stand.
thank you
John Barlak
954-327-0164

·
Registered
324 Posts
good luck.

if you don't find anything you could always use the cinder block and 2X4 method LOL.

I used that for years on my 125g in college. we just attached some fabric with heavy thumbtacks so you didn't see the blocks.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Know that how many people have there tanks set up, but it can be very dangerous, if you have children I would not do this, 70 gals of water weight can kill... If you don't beleave me call the MDF and ask them how many calls they go out on because an aquarium has fall'n on a child. Either buy find or build a safe stand that is botled together out of 2 x 4's but that gets bulky. Relax take your time and find what you want, instead of rushing to get the tank setup only to realize that it not what you imagine in your head..... you can pick up a nice metal stand for under a hundred on line and if you watch even a cabinet style for just over a hundred

·
Registered
324 Posts
the problem with tipping tanks is mostly from crappy particle board stands a topheavy setups (such as a 65g tall tank). with the tall thin tanks, the problem isn't the stand so much as the instability. with a 75g the weight is distributed better, and if you use cinder blocks and 2x4 runners the weight will hold it solidly in place...

... but of course, better safe than sorry... if your not comfortable or have any doubt, get what your confident having in the house.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a father who actually does metal work and took a look at the stand and will extend it the 5 inches I need and place some extra bracing on it and even little edgeson each corner to hold the tank onto the stand. so it should be all good.
I have the cascade filter attached to my established tank and its running well...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts