Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When doing my weekly water change -after I siphon the tank can I add water straight from the hose and treat it (declorinate) as I do so? If so would I add enough declorinator for just the water being added or would I treat the whole tank? Assume the water being added is the correct temp. and ph. Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yes. Add the dechlorinator to your tank and add the water. I would highly recomment the Python siphon if your sink is within 25-50ft of your tank. This saves a great deal of time and hassle.

I just put the siphon in (suction cup), turn it on let it remove ~20-25g of water, then add my water back in. If you put the siphon at the exact height you can even walk away and can hear the noise of the sink change when it is no longer sucking water from your tank.

Go to DrFoster&Smith for pictures of it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you add declorinator in the amount to treat just what was added or enough to treat the entire tank?

BTW, my tank is by the door. I just siphon the water out into the lawn.

·
Registered
41 Posts
But this lets you siphon using the sink (not your mouth) and lets you add water back directly. :D

You just need to add enough dechlorinator to treat the new water which will dilute out quickly in your tank anyways.

Mouth? *J/D* *r2*r2 That's funny..

Try submerging the entire siphon tube in the tank, change the angle a couple of times until most of the air comes out, put you thumb one end, make sure the other end stays under water, and lower the covered end into the bucket.

Take your thumb off, it starts to siphon on its own.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
a long time ago, when i first started using the Python, I went to a place that sold waterbeds and bought a drain thing that when hooked up to your sink does all the syphon thing for you then, in my case (i have a well) i just switch it to fill and Bingo Im done :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My tank is near a door. There is a hose there and I don't mind using my mouth on the siphon tube. It doesn't get any easier than that. I love how when you post a question on here you get eveybody's opinions on everything else. JUST KIDDING! Thanks for the thoughts guys.

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Like a diamond a python is a girls best friend :)

Before I got the python I used a power head and put the end of the hose over the outlet and it would drain the tank pretty fast. And if you have to empty the tank for moving a pond pump with hose works wonders.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
My tank is near a door. There is a hose there and I don't mind using my mouth on the siphon tube. It doesn't get any easier than that. I love how when you post a question on here you get eveybody's opinions on everything else. JUST KIDDING! Thanks for the thoughts guys.
Yup, we are full of opinions here, mostly all good ones im proud to say, and were not too selfish to share them *w3

·
Registered
42 Posts
I never heard of the Python thing! w my 20gal, 30%wc is ez enuf to handle the big plastic bin way, but was wondering what I'd be doing when I get my 100+gal! Thanks for the tips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts