Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
New Member Manager
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. i am probably buying a 56 gallon aquarium with demensions 30''Lx18"Dx24''H. Im probably going to buy the tank, but not the stand. Im going to use my old 30 gallon tank stand and i will modify it. The old tank stand is 20''Lx18''D. If i put a sheet of wood on the top of the stand, and put wagon-wheel supports on the sides, will this support the new tank? I dont have the money to go out and spend 150$+ on the tank stand. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. if you dont know what a wagon wheel support is, it is like a wheel to a wagon or horse carrige, but cut in 1/4. They make great supports.

W

·
0 Posts
I didnt use wagon wheels when I had to reinforce my stand for BF use. (I got a 20L stand of wood) I had to put 2x4
s around the edges and then another below to support to the floor, Its worked fine but I am about 1/4" at the MAX of overhang in the front and well that isnt good enough for me, I am building a bowfront housing, stand, light fixtures and canopy as 1 unit w/ external 3d background.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Im not familiar with wagon wheels. As long as you have the outer edge of the tank supported. I like to lay a sheet of plywood on top of my stand(cut to size of course) and then glue 3/4" polystyrene to that, to give maximum support.

like this, first pic has wood glued and screwed down, then second shows polystyrene under the tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts