Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I have recently gotten back into the wonderful world of aquariums and am trying something new. Bout two years ago I had the "typical" starter aquarium set-up, fake plants, fake rocks, bla bla.. I am interested in getting a more natural look to my aquarium with real plants and wood. I recently bought a log for my tank from a pet store and have soaked it for about 3 days straight. By the end of the soaking cycles, the water was a very very light tea color, so I put it in the tank. After a few days the water has turned a very slight brown color (which I like) but wifey doesn't care for it too much. I put in activated carbon in my filter cartridge to try to clear it up and was just wondering how long it took to clear up the water.

Anyone have any info for me pleeease??

Also, if anyone feels like it, any suggestions for a great looking natural look without a great deal of maintenance/experience? Some maintenance is great because I enjoy the hobby, but I am not made of money and don't have a great amount of experience.

THANK YOU ALL!!
Cheers

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
a few days, if you want to clear it out even further use filter floss.

I prefer my tanks almost black water but keep them pretty clear for viewing by others. That tea color actually helps the fish more then you know, the fish become nearly immune to stuff mainly because stuff cant live in that water(baddies like ich and flukes ect) Youd have to jam a bunch of wood in there and hardwood leaves like almond and oaks to get it even darker.

What direction do you want to go with this tank? I am an aquascaper and do this stuff for a living.

·
Aqua Addict
292 Posts
On the topic of tea colored water, what's the easiest way to keep the water looking that way? I put some new driftwood in my tank and the water was colored for awhile, but now it is clear. I have a rena X2 with a sponge in it, would that be removing the color? I don't use charcoal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you WhiteDevil.

I'm not exactly sure what direction I wanna go in. I'm looking for some ideas because the tank is a nice clean slate with so many options. Maybe some good fish ideas, plants, bottom feeders.. like a little habitat in a tank.

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
If you are trying to get rid of the "tannins" that tea the water. What I did was boil water, pour it in a bucket, soak the wood, and dump the tea-colored water out. I continued doing did this for 2 days. After placing it in the tank, no more leeching.

You have to have carbon in your cartridge filter to remove color. However, it did not work for me, which is why I went to boiling water. Now, crystal clear. As long as you keep your water well maintained and non-stressed ick and etc will be rare in a mature planted aquarium with fish having a good immune system.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts