Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me, please! *sad

We have an 80 gal with an eheim filter system. Have had a low ph, but everything else was doing well. Then the low ph tanked and we couldn't get it back up. Instead of doing a chemical change (we tried lots of water changes) an experienced person suggested we add live sand. It did wonderfully for the ph. Fish were happy, snail was happy. We were happy. Then an ammonia spike happened. We have lost almost all of our forty fish! It is heartbreaking to watch them slowly die. We have desperately been trying to stop the insanity with water changes, ammonia chips in the filter, etc. It is a little better, but the ammonia is still at stress level. Nitrates, nitrites, ph are normal. What do we do? We are experienced tank owners, but have never encountered something so difficult!!!!

What do we do? Add chemical to grab ammonia? Euthanize the fish to avoid more suffering? Hop a boat to a tropical island and learn to say "De plane! De plane!"?

Barbiedahl

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
With this being a freshwater tank there is no reason to add live sand for salt tanks. I would get that out as soon as possible. The stuff in the live sand is dying which is causing the spikes.

What is your ph, gh and kh?

Put your remaining fish in a bucket with fresh dechlorinated water and get busy changing things back to the way they should be. If your ph is to low you can add some crushed coral to bring it up. You can put that in a bag and put it in the filter if you want to keep it out of site.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
oh yeah susan is right...the bacteria in the live sand are dying making the ammonia go up.

Reactions: barbiedahl

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both! Will do as soon as possible. I'll let you know what happens.

Barbiedahl:fish-in-a-bag:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulled most of the sand out. Tried to move the fish, but they were stressing too much. Another big waterchange with a good quality water conditioner and a lot of vacuuming. Some fish seem to be perking up. Some are still waggling. I am having trouble looking at the tank - I'm too sad. Dear husband was sure that adding some new filter media will help. I am usually very optimistic am just too sad now. We had some wonderful fish with great personalities. We lost a great breeder marble molly and two male cherry barbs who were so beautiful! I'm afraid the damage has been too much and they will all go. Seeing fry die has been the hardest. Sigh.*tired

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Cheer up! All of us has gone through the same kind of problems, usually caused by our own mistakes. All we can do is jump back in and make it better. I have lost so many fish this past couple of years. In 2007 we had an ice storm that left us without power for 7 days and I lost over $5000. in fish. Out of 10 tanks I lost all fish except for 1 tank. I now have more tanks and more fish than ever. 26 tanks and still growing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Prime is one of the best water conditioners in my opinion. It does a good job of detoxing the ammonia but leaves it available for your bacteria to stay alive. Plus it is concentrated so one cap full will do about 50 gallons so a bottle will last a long time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Will look for that one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts