Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am new to the forums and still new to tropical fish keeping. I have kept goldfish for over a year in a 10g tank. I was recently given a free 55g tank with stand. I have had it over a month and it is now starting to grow algae. I have had algae in my goldfish tank (brown i think) and can see that also starting in my tropical tank, But there is one there that I did not see in my goldfish tank that is growing in my 55g tropical.

I was hoping that someone here could enlighten me as to what kind of algae it is, if it is even algae! I have posted it in my Gallery for viewing. It seems to be growing on my real driftwood, real plants, and a plastic decoration. It looks to be attached by a single stem and then has 4-5 smaller floating fingers off of the stem.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I'm actually fairly sure that what you have in your tank are hydras, most likely green hydras. They are small freshwater animals in the same Phylum as jellyfish (Cnidaria) that eat tiny critters like water fleas (Daphnia) and particles floating around in the water. The Hydra in pond and aquarium. In the case of the green hydra, their green color comes from the presence of algae in their tissues, allowing them to be much less predatory than other species of hydra. The algae and the hydra have a symbiotic arrangement where the algae is sheltered from the environment in the hydras tissues while it provides the hydra animal with food from photosynthesis in the the form of sugar. Pretty cool critters that are completely harmless. They can get kind of annoying though if they grow on your glass

·
Registered
291 Posts
aren't these also basically your beneficial bacteria ??

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hydra are little stinging critters that eat free-floating materials in the water column and they don't affect your BB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up a couple of apple snails from the Pomacea bridgesii species. So far so good, they are cruisin around the tank munching up the hydra. They are also interesting to watch. I didnt snails could be that interesting!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yep! Snails are actually really neat I think. I know most people look at them as a nuisance, but they have an important clean-up job to do. They can have population explosions, but like everything else, their ultimate population size is limited by resource availability, so their numbers thin out on their own. I have snails in all my tanks and am happy they're there. Glad your snails are doing the trick!

·
Registered
291 Posts
kind of depends on type of snail as well .. apple snails lay out of water , and breed less often i believe .. i've only had apple snails a couple times but they didnt breed that often while i had them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts