Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting up a new tank and got some live rock and I though there was some dead something on it. I didn't really think anything of it tell I came home tonight and the had buffed up!! Can anyone tell me what kind of fish it is please?

[/url][/IMG]

·
Registered
43 Posts
zooxanthella is what make the color come out in the some corals. looks to me to be a mushroom. Just a thought but it up higher in your tank for a little bit and see if that helps bring the color back out of it. hope this helps
zona

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
since you've got a coral might as well make your tank a reef tank. what kind of lighting/circulation do you have?
I am trying to do a reef tank. I have a duel state light. It has a moon light and 2 blue and 2 white lights. I have 2 power heads for circulation. I tried to put it higher in the tank and it started not doing so well; so last night i put the rick lower and now it is doing better. I have also added a star palup, galaxea, and a torch coral. it is starting to look better. It's just slow growing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
slow down is the light t5 or pc what is the whats if it is pc. What size tank is it and how many gph are you running with you filters and power heads skimmer and everything just trying to help do not know how long you have been doing this. Me going on 8 years 4 reef and the rest fowl tanks. as of know I have a 75 90 reef 250 fowl and 20 sea horse. let us help you so you don't have to go through what we did when we all started this grate hobby.
zona

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a 29 gal, with a seaclone 100 protein skimmer. I have 2 power heads in it. They flow for a 55 gal tank put together. It has about 27 of live rock, and 40 lbs of live sand. The light is a current dual satellite. I don't know what you mean T5, but the box says 30" 65w 2 lbs-lamp 24-hour lighting system. I think that is everything. I don't know if it helps but the live rock in the tank are cured because they came from a tank that had just been dismantled. I have been doing water test and the only thing I can see is the ph is at 8 and it should be a little higher.

·
Registered
43 Posts
the fixture is a pc light. witch is ok if you want to keep with soft and some lps. To help with your ph try kent marine superbuffer dkh it will help with ph alk. you have plenty of rock and sand you might want to get a better skimmer. are you running a canister filter or sump. post your ph alk cal. It will help me get you on the right track. me I run my ph at 8.4 alk 10 -12 cal 520.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sadly I learned of this site after I had gotten everything. I do plan on mostly soft corals. I was planning on doing a new skimmer next week when I get paid. I was thinking about getting a bakpak skimmer. Do you have any though on this or have a better recommendation. I am at work right now but as soon as I get home I will do a water test and post up some current water test results. I do know that my PH has been staying flat at 8. I would like to be 8.1-8.4 I believe. I have gotten the 2 step B-Ionic to work on getting my PH up. This is what the guys at the LFS say works the best. I hope this is true. I know some people will say that you can do it for cheaper however I would like to keep this as easy as possible (I know that this hobby isn't the easiest thing to do).

Thanks for all the help

BC

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright the results are in.
Calcium: 390
Alkalinity: 4.11
KH: 11.5
PH: 8
Ammonia: 0 mg/l
Nitrite: <0.3 mg/l

What does it tell you?

BC

·
Registered
43 Posts
bring your cal up to 500. ph up to around 8.3 or 8.4 alk up to 8 to 10 and what is your salinity it should be around 1.025 to 1.027 i keep mine at 1.026. the CPR bakpak skimmer is a grate skimmer for that tank. as for the b-Ionic works good just takes longer to get you ph and alk up. how long has the tank been up and running with sand and rock. with that tank i would do small weekly water changes like 2 gal it will help you keep the tank stable. like ph alk and cal nit.

AND

:pics:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts