Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the story...
Day 1- I have to rush a setup on my 20gal nano reef due to an amazing 180$ savings deal on live rock. Setup using cycled water, and rock. Airstone, and power head is all I got running. Have cleaner shrimp, and some type of crab.

Day 2/3- Cleaner shrimp, and crap alive, seem to be happy

day 4- add water to tank (it was only about 60% full). Buy 2 clownfish. acclimated too fast... (10 minutes of very fast drip). Fish appear to be well. I am happy.

day 5morning- fish alive and well, no signs of ick
day 5afternoon- no signs of ick
day 5night- WTF is wrong with my fish?!?!?!?!?! really bad ick!!!

okay, I know how to deal with this. so I added the recomended dose of API's liquid super ick cure to the tank, some live bacteria, half dose of slime coat vitamin protection? and some reef vitamins and trace elements?

my questions are...
1. How likley are my fish to survive? (ick is all over body, 25-40 white specks per square cm)
2. In my panic, did I just destroy my live rock?

I know I should have a quarenteen tank, but theres no way I can get one. My aquarium is on the floor without a stand because I was keeping the live rock alive. Freshwater dip???

Thanks for any help in advance, Ill update with whats going on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was looking into a book, and it looks like my fish have a case of oodinium, not ick. Now im just lost :(

·
Registered
756 Posts
"Cycled water" does not help. All the good bacteria in in the substrate and filters. You probably had a semi-cycled tank which stressed the fish out which makes them 10x more prone to pick up a disease they normally would not, if they living in healthy happy conditions.

My guess is that your rush will probably result in a complet re-do of your tank...hopefully slower this time.:( Did you test for water conditions? Was the new water you added from the same source/similar salinity? How are the inverts doing? A lot of ich meds can be rough on inverts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the fish died later on in the day. my inverts appear to be 100% fine. it was water exactly from a tank that was up for more than a year. The live rock and sand was also from that tank. Im putting a 50gallon marineland canister filter on my tank tommorow which came from the tank that the water and rock were in, aswell as doing a water change to help get rid of the ick medications. I keep on adding products that are supposed to build up the slime coat.
The strange part is, is how bad the fish got. It was definatley the worst case of ick I have ever seen, and to see it on clownfish confuses me.

I guess it was a bit too rushed. I'm running my tank for atleast a month now before anything new goes in. Im also planning to build a quarentine tank, where im gonna keep the fish in for about a week before putting it in the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts