Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like a catfish to live with my gar but I don't really know what one to pick (I am new to predatory fish) I want one that is 7 to 11 inches and is easy to care for. Also I would like it if it is easy to find at the LPS and under $50.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
iridescent sharks and red-tailed cats are common catfish and reach similar sizes to the gar.

Reactions: garfreak526

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes but when the fish is young and small (this is true with snakeheads and most others) you should keep them in a smaller tank so that it is easer for them to hunt and other stuff like that. I read it on a website. I dont have the URL sorry.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
and gars get even bigger

Reactions: JIM

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Funny story, i bought the cutest little Red tail cat a few years back about 3 inches long put him in a 75 with a bunch of nice cichlids, pretty soon (much Sooner than you think) he was all alone in that tank with a fat belly and hardly room to turn around. I donated him to the zoo in Indianapolis, where he resides still as far as i know in a gazillion gallon tank, which is where these kind of fish belong, if not still in an amazon river. Just for general knowledge these fish can reach at least 5 feet in length. :)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Just how big a tank are we talking about here anyway? Most of the cat's that will be compatible with gars will get to be an extraordinary size like the channel, RTC, TSN just to name a few.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and gars get even bigger
The biggest gars in the wild (gator gars) are 8 feet but most are only 5 or 6. If you go on youtube there is a guy swimming with them (most are really big). Needle nose only get about 2 feet. I am getting a longnose

·
Banned
24 Posts
and gars get even bigger
that depends on the species. i believe Florida and Shortnose Gar rarely exceed 2 feet (correct me if im wrong)

a good catfish to start out with would be the Four-Lined Pimelodus, which stays at about a foot. also try the Pseudomystus species, which are tough to ID in pet stores but most species also dont exceed a foot.
however from what ive heard, Pseudomystus species, when large, have a habit of taking smaller and similarly sized tankmates at night and slamming against the sides of the tank, as strange as it sounds.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Lima Shovelnose, marbled Pim, tiger shovelnose are good choices

·
Banned
24 Posts
TSN have a MINIMUM tank size of 500 gallons. baaad idea.
LSN might work, as they reach about 15", but Marbled Pim reach about 2 ft.

a few other good, unique, but expensive options are the Tigrinus and False Tigrinus (Juruense) Catfish. problem is a young Juru can be up to $60, and a 6" Tig can exceed $200. however, both of these species have stunning markings when they mature, so if they can go the distance, i imagine them being worth every penny.

·
Banned
28 Posts
TSN have a MINIMUM tank size of 500 gallons. baaad idea.
LSN might work, as they reach about 15", but Marbled Pim reach about 2 ft.

a few other good, unique, but expensive options are the Tigrinus and False Tigrinus (Juruense) Catfish. problem is a young Juru can be up to $60, and a 6" Tig can exceed $200. however, both of these species have stunning markings when they mature, so if they can go the distance, i imagine them being worth every penny.
yes they are worth every penny.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do the tiger shovelnose and red tail cats a favor and LEAVE THEM IN THE WILD. Almost no one has a tank large enough to care for them properly. I occasionally see these great cats in fish stores traded in because they are too large. The problem is few people want them at that size so lots of these large fish get turned away. Then they either get euthanized or released in a local river or lake. They may be cool when they are small but they truly become unmanageable sooner than you might think.

my .02.

--Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
The featherfin squeaker is a good choice, a very friendly and entertaining catfish.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Two kinds of people get Red Tail catfishes. Those with 300+ gallon tanks and morons.

--Dave

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
no need to go that far bigd. ;o)

we just have to hope the best for the fishie and the OP that the right decision was made.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You are right, I apologize for my choice of words, I feel pretty strongly about this issue.

good luck with your selection,
--Dave

1 - 20 of 24 Posts