Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I am not very well educated with parasites and diseases..

I have a 20 gallon tank with 9 platys and a few platy fry along with many Water sprite, red wendtii, javafern and anubias nanas. Some of the fry and 2-3 of the adults have caught ick and I am very unsure of what to do. I have dealt with ONE outbreak of ick before and have had 3 casualties but I dont remember what I did. But.. other than that I did cure the ick off the rest of the infected fish.

What I have available now is Melafix, Quick Cure (combination of Formalin and Malachite Green), Aquarium salt and of course a water heater.

I have read salt and quick cure are harmful to live plants. also.. I have read medications destroy the good bacteria in tanks whereas salt doesnt.

The quick cure bottles says 1 drop per gallon DAILY. Isnt 20 drops a day an overdose? Do I remove the live plants before dosing with salt or meds?
I need someone with experience to tell me how to properly use what I have available. What I have done so far is bump the temp up to 82F.

*c/p* *c/p* *c/p* *c/p* *c/p* *c/p* *c/p* *c/p* *c/p* *c/p*

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well, you should be able to treat with just heat and salt. It's definitely better for the plants than copper. 82F is a good temp for treating ich, just salt the water and see if they get better. That should do it. Treatment should last 10-14 days.

If not, I'd consider setting up a quarantine tank so you can treat with copper and not be concerned about killing your plants. Let us know how it goes

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will the salt kill the plants? It would be a hassel to remove the plants to a different tank but if it saves them, I'm all for it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The plants won't like it, but for only 2 weeks, they'll make it. You might lose some leaves, but they'll live. Before you do anything though, test your water to make sure the nitrates are low (<20ppm); if they're not, do a water change, then add some salt. It'll help make sure your fish have a good environment to get healthy again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts