Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tank is getting FILLED with Brush/Red Algae and I don't know how to get rid of it! It is growing all over my plastic ugly plant, flower pot, rocks, the glass, gravel. Anything and everything this stupid algae can get its little roots on! Does anyone know how to go about cleaning out the tank in a safe way. I don't have an extra tank or the space to transfer fish to in order to break down the whole tank. I don't want to throw off the whole bacteria enviroment as well. Someone please help me! My tank is ugly!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have you added any new fish or plants?

What kind of lighting do you have?

What size tank is it, and how what fish do you have, and do you have live plants?

Do you add freshwater salt?

Questions, questions, questions!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you added any new fish or plants?

What kind of lighting do you have?

What size tank is it, and how what fish do you have, and do you have live plants?

Do you add freshwater salt?

I have not added any fish or plants probably within the last year. I am not sure of the lighting. Although I think it might possibly be a salt water light. Havent looked into the lighting like I should. It is a 55gallon tank and I have a few mollys, a few angel fish, 3 -3spotted grommies and a rope fish. I have one live plant that isnt doing so well. I have not added any salt in a long time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Okay, lighting might be an issue. Kill the lamps and let them rest for a few minutes, then see if you can find a label on either end. If it's not faded, see if is says something like "power-glo" or "6700k" or anything like that.

But don't burn your fingers! Even flourescents get pretty hot!

Also, how often do you change the water?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
It sounds like you have black breaded algea, it is the hardest form of algea to get rid of, but it can be remove. It is cuased by the lack of CO2 in the tank. You need to check your KH reading it should be around 4.0 or better for planted tanks. Than you need to get a product called Seachem Excel, it contains a CO2 carbon in liquid form. You will do a WC and triple dose the tank with it. You fish will act crazy but I hve never lost a fish to this solution. In less than 24 hours you see the BBA turn red/pink. Repeat the process after you do a 25% WC each week, in 3 weeks it will all be gone. Other than breaking down the tank and bleach bathing everything including the tank, this has been the only way I have been able to remove BBA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately I have been slacking on the water change for quite some time now. That is a definate must that I need to do. I will have to check the type of bulb later on in the day. I will post pics on here when I can, I have to wait for me to post 5 posts... I will look into the seachem idea. It sounds good. What is the KH reading and how do I do that?
Thanks to everyone for their help with this!

·
Registered
756 Posts
kH is carbonate hardness. kH and pH play a direct role in available CO2 but is not really important if you don't have live plants since you are not pumping in CO2. Excel adds an alternative carbon source for your plants, but in this case it is being used to kill the BBA....if that is what you have. If you are going to keep live plants I would plant more than 1 and make sure it has light requirements similar to what you have.

Definately do regular water changes in the future, and let us know what lights (watts) you are using and how long you keep them on during the day.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
DMax...Kh affect the asorbtion of CO2 in the water.. the higher the KH the more CO2 the water can hold for longer. That is why sugessted knowing the KH because if it 1 you going to use alot and and fdo alot more water changes. iIf it around 4 to 5 I have found that only one or two treatments are required. ANd it is gone from plants equipment everthing that in contact with the water colom. BBA has nothing really to do lighting but more to do witht the lack of CO2, form what I read... doing a 3 day black out on a tank doesn't effect the aglea. which leads me to beleave that it more CO2 related

·
Registered
756 Posts
I know how kH affects CO2 but the fact is that if you are not pumping in CO2 you only have about 3-4ppm of CO2 in the water reguardless of your kH and what the kH/pH chart shows. Are you saying he needs a higher kH for the Excel to work? I know that Excel in higher doses has been know to knock out algae but I have not heard that it worked better with a higher kH.

If he only has one live plant, he can definately play around with the light schedule a bit more to help keep down all kinds of algae but a single plant does not stand much chance against algae. I have also heard that H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) can kill BBA fast. You can remove your ornaments and dip into it for a few minutes. For live plants you can safely spot treat the leaves with a dropper but do not put too much H2O2 in your tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts