Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok hey guys, my 12g aquapod is crazy, its so hot, in the morning its 83 and then it reaches 86 or 87 at the peak, Im on spring break and this would be my only time to order some stuff, i wanna order a clean up grew ofonline and my LFS is charging 2X as much as online and the shipping if free. But im on spring break and somebody has to be home and our fed-ex ppl come when noones there, but i will be now since im off

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry for the whole emergency title,i need fast answers panic thingy. I put water in my freezer in bags, when they are frozen i will add 1 to my filter area in my tank and see what happens to the tamps and monitor it, does it sound like a good idea, i really dont have extra money right now

·
Registered
13 Posts
this sucks dude........check your fans and make sure they r working....if you dont have any jumpers u can leave your lid open...maybe move the tank to a cooler spot, maybe its getting hot from indirect sunlite.....all fails u mite have to get a small chiller..

·
Registered
13 Posts
also remember that the average temp of a reef is 80-82, so dont worry if it stays around 80 or so, but it must be constant, im sure u know that!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx. Well I cant really move it, and I have cats so I cant keep the lid opened, so I need a small fan I can place through the feed area lid thingy. Do you know were I could get like a really small one. I am freezing the water right now. try it out today, but i have no idea were i can a small fan. If i opened the lid enough my cats would try to eat the fish, and other stuff in it

·
Registered
13 Posts
try wal mart or home depot, i really think that would help....but kitties...maybe u could try and teach them not to mess w/ the tank?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i wish I could train cats but they would deff. mess with it when Im not home. They didnt have afan i could use, so I bough ice packs hopefully it works for a bit, any other ideas

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
maybe the heater is stuck "ON", or is overheating. that could be the source.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow! No heater and tank temps that high. I live in SE Ohio, so we never see air temps in the 80s until mid-late summer.

Have you checked your thermometer for accuracy? I ask, because I've seen digitals go bad, and even compared two digitals in the same tank that were off by a whole degree. I'm just wondering how you are getting temps in the 80s without a heat source. The tank can only get as warm as the surrounding air - unless there are other sources of heat, i.e. lights and/or heat-producing equipment in the tank.

Also, there doesn't happen to be an electric heater or wood stove located near that tank? I ask, because when I first got my wood stove, it was in direct line but 15' across the room from my (then) 29G tank. I noticed it was heating the tank into the 80s and actually had to go through the laborious task of moving the tank.

(Gotta admit, I know nothing about SW setups, so please ignore any ignorance on my part if I missed something completely obvious about heat sources.)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well yea I think a good bit of it is lighting. But I also have the aquapod pumps which are kinda high in wattage if thats a word, and i have a extra powerhead. I live in SC and its like close to 80 were i live right now. No its upstairs in my bedroom by no heat source.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have it all under control. I ordered the fish anyways on Wed. night. Because I knew that id be able to solve the heat problem. Well I unplugged a power head of mine, so that makes it cooler. Now the temps are usually around 82. but it will still try to warm up when it gets to 82 I put ice pack in the filter area and it usually drop its down to 81 or 80.5, I could drop it more by adding more but I think thats fine. I ordered a couple of things, but it was all the clean up crew. I saved a lot of money. They even paid for the shipping which is usually 35 for fish, but they only pay for it on build your own clean up crew. Check it out. They have a lot cheaper prices than it LFS. But you have to have a minimum 60 dollar crew.

Build Your Own Reef Cleaner Packages

·
Registered
76 Posts
Glad to see you've got everything under control. I had no idea (like I said earlier) that SW equipment could cause so much heat. That's why I joined this forum - to learn. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts