Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
25% of my platies have red thread-like hairs coming out of their anus. At first it was only 2 platies, now 25%. Even the juniors now have it. I havent added any new fish ing a long long time, it must be at least 4-5 generations of platies by now. At first I thought it was the algae they ate, because dead algae turns red when I spray it with Excel. Then I thought it was my shrimps being eaten and figured those are the legs. Finally ruled it down to Camallanus Nematodes and im 95% positive. Someone must have thought it would be funny to inject my tank with nematodes while im gone.

I also googled the pic and it looks just like it. I read they infect live-bearers and are very med-resistant because farms and LFS heavily medicate their fish to reduce deaths. Quote from another site, "Immune to Prazi medication, Praziquantel powder, Droncit (Prazi), Prazipro, Trichlorfon, Metronidazole, (& possibly fenbendizole)etc". Sites say its so bad, that some even euthanize all fish and start over.
Camallanus (Nematode) - Deutsch Guppy Wiki
Looks exactly like that, except 3-6 hairs sticking out per fish. God, so disgusting. Im so mad :'(.

I am planning to treat with Fenbandazole Panacur. If anyone has dealt with it before, feel free to post some inputs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That really sucks! Roundworms that infect all animals (there is almost nothing left to fight worms in sheep) are starting to get resistant to almost all the drugs we got to fight them with because people have been preventatively throwing anthelminthics at animals whether it is truly needed or not. Unfortunetly i have no expereince/ advice on this but my best wishes to your fish.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Intestinal Disorders
Check out this link. National Fish Pharmaceuticals is a really reputable company and they have great products. They recommend their product Paracide-D for the treatment of Camallanus nematodes. If the Panacur doesn't work, maybe try a NFP product. Keep us posted and good luck with those; they're pretty nasty

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot everyone, I will take everyones comment into consideration. I will keep everyone posted as of whats going on. Right now, I am still trying to find Panacur.

·
Registered
719 Posts
your tank is so beautiful it would be a shame to loose your livestock. best of luck i recently saved 3 red eyed tetras with severe cotton on their faces and now they are fine so dont loose hope as long as they are swimming and eating they are still in decent shape.

·
Registered
719 Posts
wow i cant beleive it, i just commented on how i had nursed 3 tetras back and when i got home from work one of them was dead on the bottom being picked apart by a rainbow shark..... his name was Face, cuz he had a messed up face. Maybe i jinxed him by saying something but when i left for work this morning he was as he always was, normal swimming, no signs of distress at all but when i took him out of the tank and took a close look at him i could see that the cotton had gotten past his eye and into what i beleive was his brain area, im not a marine biologiost though im just kinda sad about my deceased tetra

·
Insert cool title here
16 Posts
o no!! thats horrible i really hope you can nurse your fish back to health best of luck to you

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I decided to start low and eventually work towards the more costly meds to experiment the effectiveness of these meds. 2 days ago I used Praziquantel from the Jungle, Parasite Clear. Cheap and from walmart. Keep in mind that the worms are supposed to be immune to this medication.

Day 2 with Praziquantel
The instructions were to throw the tabs into my tank. However I did a bit of adjustments I read from another site. 2 days ago in my main tank, I dissolved half a tablet in a small cup, threw in some fish flakes to be absorbed, and then fed it to my fish. Today I find that they are pooping out bright red. And I dont see any signs of the worms. I am not sure where the red came from, I keep thinking its the blood from the ruptured GI system. Or somehow from the worms. In other words, no idea where the worms went.

In the quarantine tank, I had dissolved 2 tablets a week ago and put my worst affected fish in there. He wouldnt eat and was emaciated, so I was hoping that he would somehow absorb in the medicated water nesessary to kill the worms. Today I found him dead with a ton of worms wriggling at the end of his anus, like they are about to burst out. Im assuming the medication doesnt work when dissolved in the tank or the fish was so badly affected that it took her out.

Im not sure if the medication is working, but I do not see any worms in the main tank as of today. I will feed them medicated fish food agian today and continue to update this thread every 2 days to keep everyone informed of what is going on.

EDIT: ON SECOND THOUGHT!!!! I just now looked at one of my junior fish, and I saw a peice of waste fall to the floor with a small red string attached to it. String is not moving and lifeless. One dead worm :). Good news everone! Agian, will continue to assess my fish throughout this treatment.

Input is welcome!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts