Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just Picked Up A Used K2 Viper 70 Watt Hqi With A 8k Bulb And A 14 K Bulb. I Was Useing T5 Ho's On A 12 Gal Nano.......the T5 Ho's Are A Hell Of A Lot Brighter Then The Hqi 14k And The 8k Bulbs.........what Do You Think. Should I Replace The Hqi Bulbs On The K2 Viper.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I Just Picked Up A Used K2 Viper 70 Watt Hqi With A 8k Bulb And A 14 K Bulb. I Was Useing T5 Ho's On A 12 Gal Nano.......the T5 Ho's Are A Hell Of A Lot Brighter Then The Hqi 14k And The 8k Bulbs.........what Do You Think. Should I Replace The Hqi Bulbs On The K2 Viper.
If you have heat issues, go with the T5's. I personaly like MH's Luna

·
Registered
264 Posts
IMO I am not sure how the HQI bulbs work considering I never used them but if T5's have been good to you I would stick with what you feel safe with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heat Is Not The Problem At All...........the Hqi Bulbs Are Not As Bright. I Thought They Would Be Better And Brighter.

·
Registered
264 Posts
IMO I am not sure how the HQI bulbs work considering I never used them but if T5's have been good to you I would stick with what you feel safe with.
MH's are the best but if you don't set them right they tend to get a little to warm for the tank. T5's would be my choice if you never had experience with the MH's before.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I'm Saying Heat Is Not A Problem I'm Running At 78.9........the Lighting Is The Problem. The Mh Bulbs Are Not As Bright. Any Reason Why????????

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I'm Saying Heat Is Not A Problem I'm Running At 78.9........the Lighting Is The Problem. The Mh Bulbs Are Not As Bright. Any Reason Why????????

·
Registered
264 Posts
How old are the MH bulbs? How old are the ballasts? Is this unit new or used? Luna
I was just about to ask that. I think from what I was told that you should change MH bulbs every 6-12 months depending on how much the were used (meaning how long they were on for each day).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Used For 4 Months....they Shouldnt Be Bad
MH bulbs will last anywhere from 8-12 months, depending on how long you run them. The problem with used units is, you really dont know how old they are. For all you know, they could be a yr old. If it was possible, try getting new bulbs to see if the new ones burn brighter. Luna

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The T5 Ho's Are Only 8 Watts Each And There Are 4....i Will Get A New Mh Bulb And See If That Is The Problem...i Also Contacted Jbj To See What The Warranty Is On The Light And The Balest.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your eyes cannot detect what a lux meter can, btw. Just want to throw that out there. There are devices to measure what you are guessing at.
SO HOW COME THE T5 HO'S LOOK SOOOOOO MUCH BRIGHTER AND THE CORALS LOOK SOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER UNDER THEM THEN THE MH

·
Registered
943 Posts
I decide to change from T-5 to MH to see what I liked better and when I did my tank didnt seem as bright with the MH's as it was with the T-5's but at the same time I was over driving my T-5's on an IC 660. The T-5's spread even amounts of light the entire length of the tube and that is usually the length of the tank and MH's are more of a point sorce light.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But when you see some of the corals i have purchased under MH lighting they are so much more colorful then under my MH.

·
Registered
43 Posts
But when you see some of the corals i have purchased under MH lighting they are so much more colorful then under my MH.
They probably had some actinics bulbs with the MH bulbs. The blue spectrum from the actinics is what bring out the colors in the corals. Do you have actinic bulbs? Luna

1 - 20 of 22 Posts