Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had aquariums my whole life except the past 2 years (due to a divorce and move). Anyway just bought a 20 gal. I know about cycling and all, but just trying to pick out live plants and fish. I have never had a 20 gal and never had Cichlids but always wanted to have them. I have only had 10 gallon tanks (a couple at a time) and have had tetras, danios, goldfish, and frogs. I haven't read much about Cichlids in a long time, mostly because I never owned any.

My questions are: What kinds of Cichlids are good in a 20 gallon tank and how many? What kinds of live plants are good around Cichlids, or does that even matter? (I'm not putting any fake plants in, I've raised live ones before and loved them).

Any other tips would help! Like I said, I've had aquariums before but I don't have much knowledge of Cichlids.

Hey also, What happened to acquatic-hobbyist.com? I was an active member, but its been a few years, and I miss everyone and all their input!

·
New Member Manager
689 Posts
i personally have a mbuna and lake malawi african cichlid tank. beautifull little guys. but you will need atleast a 55g tank for that...

you can put shell dweller cichlids in a 20g, but i have never dealt with them. anyone here have experience with shell dweller cichlids?

·
Registered
719 Posts
yeah you need more water for them. But for a 20 gal you could go with some dwarf swords, java ferns, java moss and some anubis for plants. For fish you should consider something that wont grow over 2 inches really. Personally i think a good set up for a 20 gal would be 5 cherry barbs and 3-4 corys. Have fun with your new tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts