Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an established (1 1/2 years) 80 gal. Recently, the water has been cloudy. Can't associate it with bacteria bloom, since, as I understand, that corrects itself over time. This has been cloudy for 2+ months. We've done water changes, including gravel siphoning. Also, the pH has shifted downward over the same period of time. It is currently holding at 6.2 and I'd like to get it up higher. Checked my tap water and it is 6.2 also. All other readings are normal: Ammonia = 0, Nitrites = 0, Nitrates = 20 ppm. Fish are healthy and live breeders are producing fry. Can't help but believe that the two problems are related. Since I've been a hobbyist for 10 years (off and on) and I've never encountered this problem, I am stumped. I've tried to gradually raise the pH with 7.0 treatments. It predictably raises the pH by .2 each day, but over time, the pH moves downward again. I put a piece of coral in the tank to try to increase the pH slowly. It is disintegrating, but not helping the overall reading.

I think I've included everything. If not, ask and I'll try to supply answers. Any help available?????
:fish9:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Did you place the coral in the tank prior to it clouding up? Your post said that the coral was disintegrating so I didn't know if that was the problem. I've always been told to not bother with changing the pH because it requires so much persistence and you're having to add unnecessary chemicals to the tank. Most fish will live and tolerate slightly different pH conditions as long as they are ALWAYS stable. By adding chemicals to adjust pH, it's always going to be changing if not watched over constantly.

Let's hear what others think :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I can't remember if it was cloudy before the introduction of the coral. It was a really stressful, busy time for me. Thought about taking out the coral, but didn't want to see the pH go down lower . . .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts