Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I was wondering... how can you tell the difference between a male and/or female angelfish?

I've been trying to find out which one is my gold angelfish, so then I can figure out which sex it is.. My angelfish right now is about 4-5" so it is still growing rapidly, I just feed them flake foods, and I don't know if there is something else that also helps promote angelfish growth.. will live plants help?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
male angels, like most cichlids, develop a hump on there head with age.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see. So then what does the hump look like??

Does it look like a hump that reaches the snout? or a hump and them a small snout where the mouth is. Sorry, it's kind of hard for me to explain xD

I hope this can help you identify it xD

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
i cannot see clearly, but it looks like a male. try getting a side-view. btw, what is it suppost to mean when people type "XD"?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The hump is not always correct either....the only true way to know if they are male or female is when the breeding tubes are visible

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Pic of a male and female, back angel is the male

female angel

female angel

male angel

male angel (scuse his finnage, this is when i first got him, all finnage is now beautiful)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh thanks Alaase for showing me the pictures :)

I am pretty sure now that my angel is a female. So then I just need to get her a male :) although she is just aggressive to new fishes :S and sometimes her own tank mates.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
my male and female angels are easy to tell apart.... I'll post pics of them as soon as I get off grounding :mad:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my male and female angels are easy to tell apart.... I'll post pics of them as soon as I get off grounding :mad:
Woah your grounded?? your like 14 or something?? most people in their early teens get grounded :S

I never did haha!! because my parents were way too busy to even watch me, so i was pretty much like a "do what ever I want person, just don't get into trouble with the police" kinda guy ha ha

Also, when are you out of being grounded??

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'll usually look at their snouts to get a pretty good guess on Angels. They can be pretty aggressive with a newcomer, so we try to find a potential mate of the same size or as close as we can.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
I'm 15, turning 16 in early april... had fish all my life though... I just got off grounding today, so maybe I can take pictures of my veil angels (silvers, marbles, and a breeding pair.) and post pictures.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
feel sorry for u, fishboy. im only 11 and already have been grounded a few times, but not as much as some of the kids in my class. usually its because of arguing on this forum, which puts my mind off schoolwork. :mad: love to see the pics!:)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Professionals vent them to find sex or wait to see breeding tubes.

I'm sorry but the other ways mentioned are myths and not fully reliable

1 - 15 of 15 Posts