Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my question is how much amonia is too much? i had a fish die yesterday and checked water paramaters, my amonia was at 1-2 ppm (used liquid test kit by api), is this to much, or should it always be at 0?

·
Registered
72 Posts
idealy it should be zero ppm..is this tank cycled? did you recently add any number a fish to the tank that may have increased the bio load and caused a mini cycle?

·
Registered
232 Posts
It should be zero. If your were cycling the tank with fish once it got to .25-.50 you should have done a water change. Let us know a little more about the tank, how long its been set up, how many fish, did you cycle it, and last do you know about the nitrogen cycle? With a little more info you will get the help you need.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the tank has been set since about march of 2009. it is 20 gallon. i havent made any changes in the past couple of months. no new ornaments or fish. it has 5 guppys 1 red tail shark and a cory cat(forgot wich kind). i do a 2.5 gallon water change every sunday. havent missed one since set up. also the tank is running a tetra whisper ex20 filter. but just purchaced a aquaclear 30.

·
Inspired.
138 Posts
Yup, should be at zero. I have a pack of Seachem Purigen for emergencies. Whenever you have an ammonia spike or something similar, putting it in will help filter out some of the harmful stuff. Just a tip I got from a friend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts